Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2020, 19:52   #16
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: + Bus Bar question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
They do make bus bars with different size studs.
thanks i just actually ran across one from blue sea.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 19:58   #17
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I have a large + bus bar near batteries for distribution of "cable" sized loads. From my parallel battery switch that turns on the loads, I run a small cable to a Blue Seas bus bar with #10 screws. This feeds my always on loads like bilge pumps, stereo memory, USB charger. Since these aren't protect by a breaker I run inline fuses for all of them
thats kind of what i was thinking when i asked the original question because the few items that bypass the distribution panel or breakers all havi inline fuses. im not sure how robust those glass fuses are. the blue sea fuse block looks interesting. might be the solution to use as it keeps all the fuses neat and tidy in one place.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2020, 22:08   #18

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
thats kind of what i was thinking when i asked the original question because the few items that bypass the distribution panel or breakers all havi inline fuses. im not sure how robust those glass fuses are. the blue sea fuse block looks interesting. might be the solution to use as it keeps all the fuses neat and tidy in one place.
OK, now I understand what you are getting at. I call this a power distribution point. I have two in my engine space, one positive and one negative, both near the batteries. I made my own. One inch wide by 1/4" thick. You can buy silver washed copper at onlinemetals.com. I drilled and tapped for three bolts on each distribution point. Used stainless steel bolts - 1/4 and 5/16 IIRC. Stainless is not a great conductor but the ring terminals are in direct contact with the copper bar so it does not matter. IMPORTANT: Make a plexiglass cover to prevent possible short circuit to nearby grounds.

The only things on the distribution points are heavy wiring going to things like anchor windlass, main circuit breaker panel and a secondary set of circuit breakers. In addition to the main circuit breaker panel the secondary circuit breakers are for HF radio, solar power, wind power, battery charger and inverter - the higher load items that don't go through the main C/B panel.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2020, 12:40   #19

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
I use waterproof fuse holders that use the mini blade type. Much better than the glass. Very nice quality and cheap. Littel is an industrial supplier, I use their Intrinsically Safe fuse on my circuit boards I build for explosive areas. You need to buy 5 but still cheaper than a "marine" version and likely higher quality.

This outfit stocks all sorts of things that are useful for a boat. I used the fuse blocks for MEGA fuses for high amp loads, Molex permacrimp terminals, battery lugs, adhesive lined heat shrink. Often you need to buy a minumum but good to stock up on useful items.

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4648...-Fuse-Holder-/

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4603...er-with-Cover/
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote