Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 08:09   #16

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Burned Xantrex

XANTREX is KILLING their reputation!!! Threads like this just turn off potential buyers and from what it appears, Xantrex does not give a damn. Once they lose or develop a poor product reputation, they will never get it back. Shame on them, they will get what they deserve.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:13   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You pretty much get what you pay for with inverter/chargers. If you want to take the cheap Chinese route then best of luck.

I would get a Victron.

When they were Statpower they were pretty good. I have an old true sine wave 3000 watt Statpower that has been nothing but reliable for over 10 years now.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:53   #18

I installed a Xantrex Truecharge 2 a few years ago to replace the Sentry unit on my 50 year old B40. It's worked like a charm on my 3-bank system. Just last week I was commenting to myself what a great little thing it is! Now you guys all got me worried!
Bermuda Forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 16:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You pretty much get what you pay for with inverter/chargers. If you want to take the cheap Chinese route then best of luck.

I would get a Victron.

When they were Statpower they were pretty good. I have an old true sine wave 3000 watt Statpower that has been nothing but reliable for over 10 years now.
Am I missing something? Is Xantrex known as a "cheap Chinese product?"

A few years ago I purchased their 1KW true sinewave inverter for my fridge. That thing cost over $500. Further. I purchased there 1250 battery charger. Again the price was over $500. Heck, my idea of an inexpensive inverter is seen by taking a trip to Harbor Freight. I just priced them. For less than $200 one can purchase a 400 watt inverter for $29 or get a 1000 watt inverter for $100. If one requires greater power, he can purchase their 5000 watt converter for less than $400!

ht**://---.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=inverters

I am not picking on you, I find that many times you do not get what you paid for and by that statement I reference Xantrex products.
Old 07-09-2012, 17:57   #20

Boat: H36
Xantrex does not have any qc. They where call Stat power and made some good stuff but now whey put profit above us. I have had 3 true charge 2 chargers under warranty. each time it was a 4 week turn around. If it goes again I will just toss it. Their warranty requires you pay freight to them and then they send it back by camel train.
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Doug View Post
Xantrex does not have any qc. They where call Stat power and made some good stuff but now whey put profit above us. I have had 3 true charge 2 chargers under warranty. each time it was a 4 week turn around. If it goes again I will just toss it. Their warranty requires you pay freight to them and then they send it back by camel train.

Sure! I agree the company is difficult to deal with, their products are now gaining a poooor reliability reputation. However, they are NOT CHEAP! even if they are manufactured in China. What others are reporting for failures, provide proof that the buyer is not getting what he is paying for.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:44   #22

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Xantrex are very expensive Chinese products,

Xantex 1800 watt invertor is approx $2000-00, Made in China,

I can buy four 5000 watt Full Sine wave invertors from China for that price,

And did I say, its here, within the week,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:56   #23

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySea Lady View Post
I hear your plight, I had a Xantrex 2500 inverter/charger that went bad and I replaced it with a Xantrex 3000 3 years ago and now it is gone again and of course, out of warranty.

After many discussions with a variety of marine electricians, I have decided to go with a Mastervolt 4000 unit. Close to twice the price but should last three times as long from a quality standpoint from what I am told.
My Mastervolt fitted as original equipment lasted until just out of warranty. My Xantrex's have lasted on average 3 times as long, and the present Xantrex Puresine 2000 is now 4 years old and going strong.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20   #24
Eternal Member

I am apalled by folks claiming to be "happy" because their charger or inverter or...you name it electronics...."lasted three years so far".

Good electronics which are not abused should last A LOT longer than that.

I have SSB radios which are 50 years old and work perfectly!

I have inverters which are 25 years old (Heart Interface 1500W) and work perfectly!

I have a Victron MultiPlus 2500 pure sine wave inverter/charger which is 8 years old, is used 24/7, and is working perfectly!

I have a Heart Interface (now Xantrex) EchoCharge which is 8 years old and is used 24/7 and is working perfectly!

I have a Balmar 100A alternator and MC-612 MaxCharge smart regulator which are 8 years old and are working perfectly!

I have two Iota DLS chargers (a DLS-55/IQ4 and a DLS-45/IQ4) which are 5-7 years old, are used 24/7, and are working perfectly!

I have a Hallicrafters shortwave receiver and a Zenith Transoceanic receiver which are more than 60 years old and are working perfectly.

I have numerous navigational devices from the 1960's which are working perfectly, including three RDFs, four lorans, an HF/DF receiver, etc., etc.

Good electrics and good electronics should last a very long time. If they pass the infant mortality period -- usually the first few weeks -- they should last for decades.

UNLESS....something is wrong.

Either they're not installed right, or they're not used right, or they've taken some hits from bad power or EMF or lightning strikes, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, the statement "I got fully five years out of my XXXXX" is an indictment, not an endorsement!

Bill

And, hey...country of origin is immaterial. Many countries, including China, Korea, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia, etc., produce top quality gear. Not all of it, of course, but they absolutely are capable of it.

I have Vietnam-era Chinese NiCad batteries which STILL HOLD A CHARGE BEAUTIFULLY FOR OVER A YEAR (in a Chinese backpack HF transceiver).
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 11:46   #25

Boat: Owens

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
I am apalled by folks claiming to be "happy" because their charger or inverter or...you name it electronics...."lasted three years so far".

Good electronics which are not abused should last A LOT longer than that.

<snip>

As far as I'm concerned, the statement "I got fully five years out of my XXXXX" is an indictment, not an endorsement!

Bill
Exactly. Everything I've read posted about Xantrex on multiple web forums indicates non existent quality control and even worse customer service. Without satisfactory customer service no company will receive my money.

Craig
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 13:25   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Exactly. Everything I've read posted about Xantrex on multiple web forums indicates non existent quality control and even worse customer service. Without satisfactory customer service no company will receive my money.

Craig
Yeah, just stick around, because they won't with their troubling reputation!