Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2022, 19:07   #16

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Bulging Terminal

Mike my amazing coil batteries were flooded lead acid batteries. The idiots who made them quit making them.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2022, 21:16   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Mike my amazing coil batteries were flooded lead acid batteries. The idiots who made them quit making them.

Maybe now you know why?
Old 30-05-2022, 21:27   #18

I'd guess that it heated up from resistance either at the terminal or internal. If it did it from over charging then the cell would be low and you'd see damage elsewhere. The battery checks out when isolated? Or it has always been like that?
MikeHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 01:40   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happydrv View Post
... Issue of one new battery in 8? ...
“Can I do a partial replacement of my flooded batteries?”
We do not recommend partial battery replacement of flooded battery banks.
The behavior of batteries during discharging and charging varies throughout their lifespan and if all the batteries are the same age, than they all will have similar responses. The danger with replacing only one battery is that the older batteries tend to require more charge than newer batteries, and since the new batteries are in the same circuit, they too will be overcharged. There is also the chance that the older batteries will be undercharged since the overall voltage response of all the batteries (old and new) will not be a good representation of either group. The charging system might erroneously think that ALL the batteries have reached the desired voltage and it may stop the charging of the batteries prematurely.

Trojan Battery FAQs https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/faq/

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 05:38   #20

Well, Trojan got back to me this morning. For the collective knowledge improvement:

"If the positive terminal is pushing upward, that could be due to broken grid frames in the battery caused by plate buckling. Plate buckling primarily comes from over sulfation of the plates…being under-charged."
Happydrv is offline   Reply With Quote