Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 05:27   #31
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Mike, You are opening up a big subject here , I agree with your comment if the general bus is not up to speed (load carrying wise). If the general bus can be held at battery terminal potential, then the low impedance filtering attributes of battery is essentially available at the general bus.

If the HF run is long, I like to keep the DC supply wiring separate from the rest of the looming (after the distribution bus) to prevent the HF DC supply being a source of EMI. In extreme cases, I will use shielded wiring for the HF DC supply.

Please note I am not a marine electronics expert (that might be obvious!) but I have installed a couple of radios. OK - make that a couple of hundred...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:51   #32

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Please note I am not a marine electronics expert (that might be obvious!) but I have installed a couple of radios. OK - make that a couple of hundred...
Thats good I may have to come and see you when its time to put mine in.
I have no radio experience but do have with comms over DC feeds. It doesn't need much length of cable before high frequencies don't see the batts. Maybe with short runs it would be ok but the whole thing is one of an incremental nature, each step away from ideal introduces a small degredation. How many small steps before it becomes a pain in the arse is anyones guess and yours is probably better than mine so I will be quiet now.

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:11   #33

Wotname, I will be calling on you.....No I dont have an HF installed yet, but will have one going in not long after launch (I aint going to Tassie without) . The basic principle I have used is keep it tight. The battery bank and important gear are all within 750 mm of cable.(seriously) That is the whole lot. Computer/ radios/ radar/panel/batteries. It is so much easier when you design it yourself : ) I am not that worried at this stage with local emi between gear. and have no problems with line loss. The engine however is a healthy (alt) 1.5 meters. I guess in answer to your question I would try running off the buss bar first to keep it neat ! Given that I would only have to re run an extra 300 mm of wire for a direct connection it is really not a problem. I am not at all an expert in any kind of radio installation. At work here we make electronic equipment along with a whole pile of other wonderful and goofy gear for people with disabilities (us) and people who we classify as having disabilities. The "we" bit is the royal "we" because my electronics is limited.

ps because the radios are going to be sitting on top of the switch panel. If I got problems then I GOT BIG FELLA PROBLEMS......
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:14   #34
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsical View Post
... Maybe with short runs it would be ok but the whole thing is one of an incremental nature, each step away from ideal introduces a small degredation. How many small steps before it becomes a pain in the arse....
Mike
Yup, you are spot on...and I happy to take a guess along with you. Off topic, but maybe we can talk whisky, wine, beer, boats, radios, wiring & women (in that order) some day
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote