Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2019, 16:28   #1

Boat: Byliner 3258
Bought MPPT solar controller

I am renovating a power cruiser for the great loop. I have installed a 300 Watt 24 volt rigid solar panel. Trusting in the suppler of the system, I was sold a 15 Amp Sun controller which lasted for about 3 weeks before it quit. I got cheap and bought a fairly new Renogy MPPT Rover 40 amp controller. This time I did some investigating about reliability, sizing and performance prior to bidding. The bidding closed early January but because of the fridgid winter the controller was not installed. A couple of weeks ago The unit was installed and to my dismay it gave me a over discharged battery error. The unit did not work. I tried getting in touch with the seller, but names and addresses on eBay are not given out. I phoned the manufacturer Renogy in California and talked with a service rep who suggested some steps to take that might clear the fault. The suggestions did not work. I contacted Renogy again and spoke with the customer service manager, he checked the history of the controller and found the 3 party warranty had expired. To my delight I was told that customer service and satisfaction were paramount with Renogy and was told to ship the unit to the factory and they would check it out, if it was repairable they would fix it, if it was not repairable they would give me a new unit free. I don't know how many other companies would do this for a product that was out of warranty. I highly recommend the company and their product.
Hunky Dory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 18:37   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Bought MPPT solar controller

Yes great pricing / marketing and apparently customer service, sure do see lots of postings raving about them all over the intertubes.

I don't believe they actually make anything, just relabel it, but with careful sourcing and QC means even cheap-Chinese can work OK.

I think Epever makes that controller, nothing fancy but sure are lots out there.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mppt, solar