Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2015, 16:16   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Bosch deep cycle battery quality

Hello Cruisers,

I am having a difficult time tracking down reasonably priced Trojan T105 batteries here in South Australia. Plenty on the East Coast of Oz, not so many here. Anyway, one vendor is offering an equivalent battery in capacity and dimensions, made by Bosch, model BGC15.

I am not giving up on finding a decently priced T105 but I am curious if anyone has used Bosch deep cycle batteries and if so, how they held up. This supplier is offering the Bosch at a price that is probably 5% less than the best East Coast Oz price on the Trojan T105, and 30% better than the South Australian price on the T105. I am buying 4 to 6 batteries, so that's a fair bit of dosh to be saved, but no point if they turn out to be no good.

FWIW, application is house bank only.

Matt
Old 13-12-2015, 16:40   #2

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft
Re: Bosch deep cycle battery quality

I installed Bosch made in Brazil in Ecuador. Dumped them after 3 years. I never got the voltage or capacity expected. These were 4D equivalent size. The Trojans I replaced them with are still going good after 5 years. I am a retired Submarine Master Chief Electrician and have had a bit of experience with leaf acid batteries.
Old 13-12-2015, 16:49   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Hello Cruisers,

I am having a difficult time tracking down reasonably priced Trojan T105 batteries here in South Australia. Plenty on the East Coast of Oz, not so many here. Anyway, one vendor is offering an equivalent battery in capacity and dimensions, made by Bosch, model BGC15.

I am not giving up on finding a decently priced T105 but I am curious if anyone has used Bosch deep cycle batteries and if so, how they held up. This supplier is offering the Bosch at a price that is probably 5% less than the best East Coast Oz price on the Trojan T105, and 30% better than the South Australian price on the T105. I am buying 4 to 6 batteries, so that's a fair bit of dosh to be saved, but no point if they turn out to be no good.

FWIW, application is house bank only.

Matt

Try super charge (I think that's the brand) 235 AH 6 volt deep cycle. Here on the east coast I paid $200.00 each about 12 months ago. Same dimensions as trojan t105 and made in the USA.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 16:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
I installed Bosch made in Brazil in Ecuador. Dumped them after 3 years. I never got the voltage or capacity expected. These were 4D equivalent size. The Trojans I replaced them with are still going good after 5 years. I am a retired Submarine Master Chief Electrician and have had a bit of experience with leaf acid batteries.
Thank you Jubilee39, given your technical pedigree I will pretty well say no to the Bosch then. I am quite sure you knew how to look after them.
Old 13-12-2015, 16:59   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Try super charge (I think that's the brand) 235 AH 6 volt deep cycle. Here on the east coast I paid $200.00 each about 12 months ago. Same dimensions as trojan t105 and made in the USA.
Thanks Uncle Bob, I'll look into those and see if they are available here. Might run into the same problem I suspect.
Old 14-12-2015, 09:54   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

The next batteries I buy will be Fireflys. I will replace three Yellow Top Optima Series 31s.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 10:25   #7

Boat: Moody 47

I work on the automotive side of the Bosch batteries. Previously they were touted as made to specific specifications but recently I have learned this may not be true. Exide was their vendor until recently they switched to EastPenn. Lately they seem to have gone the way of mass merchandiser. Sad really.

I would not put these in my vessel until I was able to get some accurate data.
Old 14-12-2015, 11:16   #8
Marine Service Provider

Bosch is typical of many European designed products, long on hype, short on performance and when they are made in third-world countries, zero on quality control.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery