Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2019, 09:59   #1

Blue Sea Mini OLED Ammeter Shunt Upgrade

I love the Blue Sea OLED meters. Nice form factor, and a perfect display. The only limitation I have encountered is the the current limit on the DC Ammeter. It is provided with a 100A shunt, which sounds a lot for many applications. However, that 100A specification is only for intermittent duty of five minutes. The continuous duty rating is only 66A.

In my case, I have battery charging that I wish to monitor that is easily 100A for several hours, and even peaking above that. Now Blue Sea offer there regular OLED meters, but they have a larger form factor, and are complicated with many buttons on the face, when all I desire is a simple readout.

My solution was to replace the OEM 100A/50mV shunt with a 200A/100mV shunt (https://www.newark.com/canadian-shun...unt/dp/73K4819). This shunt has a continuous duty rating for 132A. The key with shunts is the full scale mV rating. In this case I doubled both the rated current, and the full scale mV shunt rating. Thus a 100A current on the new shunt will still produce 50mV, thus matching the fixed scaling of the meter.

The only catch could be how the meter handles display of currents greater than 100A (50mV). However, the meter is rated for 175A (30s cranking), so I think it is safe to assume that meter will handle the display of at least up to 75mV from the shunt in a linear fashion.

Allan.

P.S. Now I only wish Blue Sea would come out with AC voltage and AC current versions of the Mini OLED product.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2857_tn.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	402.1 KB
ID:	204519   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2903_tn.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	204520  

Name:	9230_tn.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	204521  

ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:10   #2

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"
Re: Blue Sea Mini OLED Ammeter Shunt Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayates View Post
I love the Blue Sea OLED meters. Nice form factor, and a perfect display. The only limitation I have encountered is the the current limit on the DC Ammeter. It is provided with a 100A shunt, which sounds a lot for many applications. However, that 100A specification is only for intermittent duty of five minutes. The continuous duty rating is only 66A.

In my case, I have battery charging that I wish to monitor that is easily 100A for several hours, and even peaking above that. Now Blue Sea offer there regular OLED meters, but they have a larger form factor, and are complicated with many buttons on the face, when all I desire is a simple readout.

My solution was to replace the OEM 100A/50mV shunt with a 200A/100mV shunt (https://www.newark.com/canadian-shun...unt/dp/73K4819). This shunt has a continuous duty rating for 132A. The key with shunts is the full scale mV rating. In this case I doubled both the rated current, and the full scale mV shunt rating. Thus a 100A current on the new shunt will still produce 50mV, thus matching the fixed scaling of the meter.

The only catch could be how the meter handles display of currents greater than 100A (50mV). However, the meter is rated for 175A (30s cranking), so I think it is safe to assume that meter will handle the display of at least up to 75mV from the shunt in a linear fashion.

Allan.

P.S. Now I only wish Blue Sea would come out with AC voltage and AC current versions of the Mini OLED product.

We did the same thing with ours too. I can't believe Bluesea ship with that cheap shunt; it's a toy.

We have had two of our three Mini Ammeters fail so far. All of a sudden it starts cycling from 0-100 nonstop for hours and then goes completely out. BlueSea has replaced them under warranty, but it sure doesn't give much confidence.

Matt

Old 07-12-2019, 15:32   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Many BMs let you select from a range of shunt types, both current capacity (amps), and in some cases mV rating as well,

letting you input the shunt specs, and then calibrate.

Obviously a 500A or 1000A shunt will have a much lower resolution/accuracy with very low current levels.

Are you sure this BSS meter can't be adapted in the same way?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 15:35   #4

Boat: 37' aluminum pilothouse "Elements"

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Many BMs let you select from a range of shunt types, both current capacity (amps), and in some cases mV rating as well,

letting you input the shunt specs, and then calibrate.

Obviously a 500A or 1000A shunt will have a much lower resolution/accuracy with very low current levels.

Are you sure this BSS meter can't be adapted in the same way?
There is no adjustment or setting on these units... no buttons at all.

Matt
Old 07-12-2019, 15:53   #5

Boat: hans christian, hc33t, 33ft

I've had had great luck calling and talking with the Blue Sea guys. If they don't have a better shunt they can ship you, they will probably start making one based on your request. Give them a call! They are in Bellingham, Washington State.
dougtheslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 16:16   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe you are sort of misusing that device, I believe itís intended to read only the consumption of house loads and is most often installed on the pos side of the DC circuit panel.
For the battery monitors I have a 500 amp shunt installed on the banks neg terminal of course, that sees all bank loads, engine starting, windlass and of course the chargers. I have 185 amps of shore power chargers, 165 amps of alternator and theoretically 80 amps of Solar. Of course the bank limits by acceptance.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe you are sort of misusing that device, I believe itís intended to read only the consumption of house loads and is most often installed on the pos side of the DC circuit panel.
For the battery monitors I have a 500 amp shunt installed on the banks neg terminal of course, that sees all bank loads, engine starting, windlass and of course the chargers. I have 185 amps of shore power chargers, 165 amps of alternator and theoretically 80 amps of Solar. Of course the bank limits by acceptance.
I have a battery monitor as well using a shunt on the house bank negative, but use this unit for things like measuring the alternator output, which can be in the 100+A range.

Allan.
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:48   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I also have an ammeter just for measuring alternator output but as my alternator negative is the case mounting on the neg side wasnít an option, and I couldnít find an electronic one to measure the range the alternator put out that worked on the pos side, so I bought the Bluesea mechanical one.
If you modify a part to use it in a manner which the manufacturer didnít intend and it fails, itís not their fault.

Name:	IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	204547
Old 08-12-2019, 08:55   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Bluesea M2 is a much better device, comes I believe with and handles up to 500 amps and does so with great precision, it can apparently handle up to 5000 amps
https://www.bluesea.com/products/1832/M2_DC_Ammeter

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	204548