Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2017, 10:03   #1

Big wind generator for a 30' boat?

It seems I'll be joining the 30' club in the near future and have to think about power generation. I'll be in the windy N-Atlantic (very North...), an obvious first choice would be a wind generator. (I am also thinking on hydro, but that's useless in anchorages, I'd add it later)

What is the maximum sensible size a 30'-er with 3m/12' beam could carry? 600W, 2x600W, 1kW... (Aware of the approximate dimensions, how people fit big turbines on a boat)

I am thinking something more conservative than this one, but still as big as boat stability and sailability is not compromised:
Old 21-09-2017, 10:13   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Big wind generator for a 30' boat?

How much power are you going to use on a 30' boat?

Figure that out before you crush it with an obscenely large windmill
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:17   #3

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Our Superwind 350 has a rotor diameter of 47 inches. The similarly rated D400 has a rotor of 42 inches. My feeling is both of these are probably too large for a 30 footer. You should probably be looking at the smaller multi blade units like Ampair 100 at 36 inches or Rutland 914 at 35 inches. I have no experience with either so do your research. Rotor diameter usually equals output.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:22   #4

Boat: Seafarer36c

We have a Sunforce generator with a 52"prop on our 36' boat and it looks goofy.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 10:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
How much power are you going to use on a 30' boat?

Figure that out before you crush it with an obscenely large windmill
I was thinking about a 500W calorifier (obviously wouldn't run 24h/day), electric slow cooker (200W, maybe 3 hours/day), fridge, 2 heated blankets (2x50W, 8 hours/day), SSB, lights & instruments, maybe around 3-400W average? Realistically a 1.2kW setup (2x600?) could provide that.

I know, lots of electric stuff, but I where I plan to venture there is no LPG supply on every corner - maybe there are no corners at all...
Old 21-09-2017, 11:39   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Our Superwind 350 has a rotor diameter of 47 inches. The similarly rated D400 has a rotor of 42 inches. My feeling is both of these are probably too large for a 30 footer. You should probably be looking at the smaller multi blade units like Ampair 100 at 36 inches or Rutland 914 at 35 inches. I have no experience with either so do your research. Rotor diameter usually equals output.
Yes, I am tending towards the multi blade units, probably something configurable would be good, to use it as a 2 or 3-blade unit in very strong winds.
Old 21-09-2017, 11:44   #7

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

NOOOoo!!!

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 11:49   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
I was thinking about a 500W calorifier (obviously wouldn't run 24h/day), electric slow cooker (200W, maybe 3 hours/day), fridge, 2 heated blankets (2x50W, 8 hours/day), SSB, lights & instruments, maybe around 3-400W average? Realistically a 1.2kW setup (2x600?) could provide that.

I know, lots of electric stuff, but I where I plan to venture there is no LPG supply on every corner - maybe there are no corners at all...
Electricity isn't the answer for you, its diesel. If you are going north and want heat plus hot water then a webasto thermp top will provide these consistently in return for carrying actually very little fuel. The amount of energy in a gallon petrol or diesel is quite astonishing. Something like this:

Webasto Thermo Top C, boat, motorhome, diesel water heater, warranty | eBay

There is no reason why you couldn't also cook with a diesel stove if you can't carry enough gas. However, a pair of decent sized gas cylinders we easily see us through a season.

You will still need to generate some electricity. We use 30 - 40 AH per day with fridge, lights, laptops and running the heating occasionally. So in the summer 210 - 270w of solar will meet our needs quite nicely. If you can arrange a similar amount from a wind with a back up then you should be fine.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:00   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

See if you can find a copy of Davids first book on around the world in an old British lifeboat. His story of making it through the North West passage is an excellent read.

Arctic Northwest Passage: David Cowper returns on M/V POLAR BOUND with his son on August 17th 2016 to challenge a 7th Northwest Passage logbook record
Old 21-09-2017, 12:16   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Whoa, that is quite the load for a 30 footer. I am with whoever suggested diesel. And get an alcohol stove

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 12:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
See if you can find a copy of Davids first book on around the world in an old British lifeboat. His story of making it through the North West passage is an excellent read.

Arctic Northwest Passage: David Cowper returns on M/V POLAR BOUND with his son on August 17th 2016 to challenge a 7th Northwest Passage logbook record
Thanks, right, diesel has the best energy density after uranium, I'll do the maths how much an hourly 1/2L consumption would tax a 200L/50gallon tank. Still, for the obvious electric parts (instruments, lights, SSB, AND the diesel water heater which needs ~40W) I'd use a renewable if available. Maybe a combination of solar+wind, 250W solar is by no means an extreme cost, and in the far north there is always some light in Summer (not too much though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
Whoa, that is quite the load for a 30 footer. I am with whoever suggested diesel. And get an alcohol stove
A nearby store lists this one: https://zerohomebills.com/product/ph...-turbine-24-v/ Never seen a turbine this size, would certainly need a strong rack on the transom
Old 21-09-2017, 13:03   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Actually, there is a shed load of solar available to you given the latitude you are sailing in, we are also N of 50 btw.

Our solar really starts charging with a few amps at 7am and runs until about 9pm during the height of the summer. Okay its not much and the greatest charging is in the middle of the day, but it all helps and the charge early in the morning goes into empty batteries rather than be wasted. Amps generated in the evening are used to power stuff rather than take power from the house bank helping out again. The cooler air temperatures compared to say the med or caribbean also help with efficiency.

Bang for buck solar wins and the only reason we don't have a windy thing is I don't want the blades hitting me as there isn't a huge amount of space on a 31ft yacht. However, if you can arrange a mix at sensible costs then you have the best of both worlds.

Pete
Old 21-09-2017, 13:26   #13

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

We have 2 Aerogen 6 wind generators which provide all our electrical power in the trade winds. Unfortunately, the Aerogen is no longer produced. Bummer.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 13:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Actually, there is a shed load of solar available to you given the latitude you are sailing in, we are also N of 50 btw.

Our solar really starts charging with a few amps at 7am and runs until about 9pm during the height of the summer. Okay its not much and the greatest charging is in the middle of the day, but it all helps and the charge early in the morning goes into empty batteries rather than be wasted. Amps generated in the evening are used to power stuff rather than take power from the house bank helping out again. The cooler air temperatures compared to say the med or caribbean also help with efficiency.

Bang for buck solar wins and the only reason we don't have a windy thing is I don't want the blades hitting me as there isn't a huge amount of space on a 31ft yacht. However, if you can arrange a mix at sensible costs then you have the best of both worlds.

Pete
True, solar prices dropped a lot in the last few years, a quality (?) 600W wind generator costs around here 1200€, the same in solar would be half of that. Scandinavia and the north-Atlantic islands (Shetlands, Faroe, etc) are notorious for being overcast, I'd definitely keep a wind-gen component.

maxingout: Yeah, no doubt they are easy to mount on a cat. However my 31'er would change its charater quite significantly if I hooked up a 60" diam. turbine on it
Old 21-09-2017, 14:07   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post

What I have and what I use in a moderately cold climate. ( 2 to 3 people )

3 x 4.5 kg propane = a very conservative 3 months while providing 3 hot meals a day.

Hot water heated by engine when off the grid... you won't be having long showers every day in high latitudes.

A fridge kept cold with a danfoss 50

Heat provided by an Espacher....

Usual lights and electronics.

About 350 A/h in 3 batts.... planning to instal another batt one day when back in town..

Charged by 80 amp battery sensed alternator on the motor plus two smallish solar panels that yield 5 amps maxish.... solar works good in the cold... towed AquaAreogen4 when offshore.... Honda 1kW genset for when anchored for extended periods with no wind or sun.

The windmill - when in use - is at the very bottom of the list of my power providers.... except in the Falklands.

Tags
boat, generator, wind, wind generator