Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2020, 13:48   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 33-2 1988
Best Size Inverter

I have two AC 110 outlets on the boat, neither are working, nor can I find an inverter so I assume that they are operational only when connected to shore power. What size/capacity inverter should I be looking for to power these GFI outlets if the common use would be chargers, small fan, coffee maker and..... maybe an occasional hair dryer....

"The cure for anything is saltwater - sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
djousset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 13:55   #2

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Re: Best Size Inverter

The hair dryer is what dictates your inverter size requirement.

You also need to decide if you want an inverter to automatically turn on when you disconnect shore power, if you want an inverter charger, etc....

The hair dryer consumes roughly 1500 watts.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 13:56   #3

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

The coffee maker and hairdryer are the power hogs, relatively speaking. But for two outlets like this and a bit of care, a 2000 watt inverter will handle everything you might use.
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 14:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will likely never be using shore power, I currently have a TrueCharge 40+ amp charger..was hoping it was a combo unit but appears not. So an inverter with an "on/off" switch for when I want to use the outlets? And an install location between shore power outlet and panel?

Old 03-06-2020, 15:22   #5

This is an interesting choice. Do you save some money by doing the minimum or do it right?

If you have the space and $1200, the Victron Multiplus will give you a 3000 continuous watt sine inverter, smart 120 amp charger, shore power transfer, and a whole lot of nifty features to manage charging and shore power - plus a 5 year warranty - unheard of in the marine space. Because everything is integrated you save a bunch on switches, wiring and installation.

It’s more than you really need and the case is bulky for a 33ft boat - but I’ve been using these for 15 years and wouldn’t have a boat without one.

https://shop.pkys.com/Victron-Energy...02_p_2431.html
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:47   #6

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Everything on our boat is 12v except the printer/scanner. Tiny tiny invert for the printer/scanner.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 16:59   #7

OP, it doesn’t sound like heavy, dependable 120VAC is really too important. Why don’t you just goto eBay or Harbor Freight and buy a cheap 3kW Chinese pure sine wave inverter for a few hundred bucks. Probably get a year or two of good use out of it. By then you’ll better assess your needs and you then can step up to something more solid.
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 17:27   #8

Boat: 1979 Union Polaris 36'

You will need a manual transfer switch to use the same outlets from two different power sources (shore power and inverter), just like being on the grid and using a generator when the power goes out and using the same outlets. Just get the size inverter you need and plug your 110v things into that directly when you don’t have shore power. Just be sure you have the proper size wire to send the 12v to the inverter.
Fortytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:34   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Many thanks for the input!

Old 06-06-2020, 15:18   #10

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

I'm amused.

The threads and priority of folks are so diverse on CF. I'm huge on power management on board after living aboard almost 18 years. That's just me. Blow driers, space heaters, and coffee makers are dock appliances for some of us on CF. I use a coffee pot or stove top french press for coffee. When you look at the path from battery to appliances your talking about it gets interesting.

Charging source -> DC 12v battery -> Inverter AC 12v -> RESISTIVE heated appliance... Basicly you change the electrical characteristics and then short the power/battery out so you can heat water, or blow the heat into the air/hair...

Inverters just add to the inefficiencies. 80%...
https://gnomadhome.com/best-12v-powe...rters-vanlife/

When I purchase an electrical device I ask can I charge it with 12v?
Can I use a switching voltage regulator that will fit in a 12v plug to power it off 12v DC?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage_regulator

Laptops run off 12v travel chargers.

The only thing electronic we have to use an inverter for is an inkjet printer. So we end up with a 200 amp plugin inverter that we use on occasion to print.

My Humble Opinion :-)
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, size