Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2018, 14:16   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Best Location for Genset Exhaust?

i am in the process of putting a new Gennie into my boat- i have a choice of running the exhaust 25 feet to exit under the stern- this is how the old generator was plumbed. It is possible to do it that way again but it is a real beast running the 2" hose through. Also the outlet is right at/slightly below the water line and is not visible. It is an option to simply go our the starboard side of the hull without all the hassle of running the long distance hose. i could place the outlet 6 inches above the water line and it would be possible to see water flow etc. i understand that both ways need a loop that rises up to deck level at least. i would like to hear pros and cons of both methods. Thanks in advance. Generator is a 10kw westerbeke if it makes any difference.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:06   #2

Re: Best Location for Genset Exhaust?

Shorter is always better as the backpressure is less. But I think the 10kw Westerbeke will be able to handle 25 feet exhaust.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:09   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

When I installed my generator I looked into the whole thing. There are some great installation articles if you do a web search.

If you do the old routing to the stern be sure there's a loop so that the line can't back flood on a pooping wave.

A big advantage of an above the water line installation is that you can check there is water flow.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:30   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Assuming you'll primarily use that generator at anchor, you'll want the exhaust as far aft as possible so to avoid dealing with fumes from the exhaust discharge which can be a major headache if not a health hazard. Any job worth doing, is worth doing right, even though a bit more effort may be required.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 09:53   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madehn View Post
...i understand that both ways need a loop that rises up to deck level at least...
The loop should always remain at least 18" above the discharge port. But the problem with a side exhaust is that it can sometimes create a large volume of water trying to force itself back to the engine when the boat is heeled.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 17:15   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Before deciding, consider a Gas/water Separator for your Gen.
https://citimarinestore.com/en/north...00-32007-.html

They make the Gen. whisper quiet and generally favor a short run off the Stbd side.
Mine is set up that way and the dry gas exhaust which exits about 3 feet above the waterline and aft of seating, is swept away nicely by even the lightest breeze hitting the hull.

Sometimes with stern positioned exhaust, you can get a bit of a vortex in light conditions, that sweeps the exhaust back in.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 18:20   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Before deciding, consider a Gas/water Separator for your Gen.
https://citimarinestore.com/en/north...00-32007-.html

They make the Gen. whisper quiet and generally favor a short run off the Stbd side.
Mine is set up that way and the dry gas exhaust which exits about 3 feet above the waterline and aft of seating, is swept away nicely by even the lightest breeze hitting the hull.

Sometimes with stern positioned exhaust, you can get a bit of a vortex in light conditions, that sweeps the exhaust back in.
Take it out the side and separate the exhaust water. A shorter run will be better for the genset. Less likely to ingest water and with a seperator it will make less noise.

Keeping a proper drop on a long exhaust can be difficult.

"Most generator and engine manufacturers call for a specific minimum “drop” in the exhaust, often 12″ (305mm), from the exhaust elbow or spray ring to the muffler, with a continuous downhill slope of ½″ per foot (42mm/m). Probably the most common violations I encounter are wet-exhaust hoses that form a lazy-U shape, dropping from the injected elbow to the bottom of the generator sound enclosure, exiting the enclosure, and then traveling upward to a waterlift muffler. Depending upon the generator’s orientation, water trapped in this section of hose can—when the vessel rolls, heels, or pitches—sluice up and into the exhaust manifold, and then to the open exhaust valves, and finally into the cylinders."

https://www.proboat.com/2011/03/generators-done-right/

https://www.vetus.com/en/exhaust-sys...separator.html
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 19:27   #8

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Our Mason 44 was equipped with side exhaust. Not good. The loop was big but heeled or with sea from the side overwhelmed the loop. That is even with a rubber flap seal. Salt water destroyed the head. Route to the stern with all cost.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust