Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 19:24   #46

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch
Re: Best Generator

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I need to look for an eu2000.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:47   #47

Boat: csy 37

kbudd -

i use the eu1000. got it for a few reasons;

1 - it's a honda.
2 - it's powerful enough for my needs.
3 - it fits into my lazarette; the eu2000 didn't.

here's my setup.

four golf cart batteries for house bank, one size 29 for engine start.
12 volt fridge/freezer is biggest power user. rest is the usual -
radio on 24/7, a few electronics, some lights. cruising i use the cpt autopilot.
onboard battery charger is 10amps, too small to be practical. i'll eventually
replace it.

i've had this setup for about four years. at anchor i had to run the honda
every morning for about two hours to top up the batteries. once in a while
i had to run it three or more hours. i check battery level with a voltmeter.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:52   #48

kbudd -

here's part two. i accidentally hit the post button.

last year i installed a 135 watt solar panel. it provides about half my power.
now i run the honda every second or third day. if i had two solar panels i
might not run the honda but once a week or less.

the honda 1000 can probably support a 45 amp charger, which is more than
adequate for my needs. if you keep your power requirements low you can
get away with a lot less battery/charger/generator/solar/wind.

keep it simple....
Old 24-04-2012, 07:24   #49

Boat: Gulfstar 43 ketch

I have 2 AGMs for my house bank and 1 starting battery. My biggest power draw at anchor is my 12V fridge. I have replaced all of my lighting with LEDs. My battery charger is a Tru Charge 40 amp. My kids do run their laptops constantly ..........Decisions, decisions.
kbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 09:20   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I have 2 AGMs for my house bank and 1 starting battery. My biggest power draw at anchor is my 12V fridge. I have replaced all of my lighting with LEDs. My battery charger is a Tru Charge 40 amp. My kids do run their laptops constantly ..........Decisions, decisions.
If you need an inverter for the laptops it can cost you amps. I found it worth investing in a DC to DC converter for mine. Big power savings.

I have a eu2000i but suspect you'd be fine with a 1000. The noise levels seemed about the same and I wanted to be sure I had enough power. I don't run it much since the solar panels can do most of the work anyway. If you don't have any solar I would think it's worth your while to look into it especially with the laptops.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 20:24   #51

kbudd - the eu1000 should easily run your 40 amp charger. you can make a shore power line that plugs into your honda generator on one end and your onboard shore power connector on the other end.

not sure if you know about this -

the honda gensets have an 'econo' switch. start the gen with the econo switch off, let it run for a minute, then switch it on. the gen immediately slows down and then only runs fast enough to match the output draw. saves quite a bit of gas.

keep it simple...
Old 24-04-2012, 21:09   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbudd View Post
I have a question regarding size. I am thinking about a honda eu2000 or eu1000. The eu2000 seems to be the most popular but it seems to me that the eu1000 would supply enough power to keep the batteries charged, run a small fridge and some electronics. If I want to run the AC or water heater I think you would need the eu3000. I guess my question is if I want to run LED cabin lights, and a 12v fridge and maybe the radio at anchor would an eu2000 be necessary?
Agree with Zeehag the 2000 eu is the way to go. You could operate it in ECO mode if you don't need it's full power. It will sip gas and run quieter. I can even move my electrically propelled boat at 3 knots in that mode. If your water heater element is under 1600 watts the 2000 will handle it. AC probably not.
Old 24-04-2012, 22:29   #53

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

On the other hand, if one could harness the potential electric current in the oceans...

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2012, 17:37   #54

My Honda 2000 will power my 10K Btu AC no problem, with power to spare.
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 18:31   #55

I picked up a Champion 2000W gen this past week from SAMS for a friend wanting a gen, but not wanting to spend $1000. The specs are identical to the Honda 2000. Sams has a no hassle return policy, so figured a no risk purchase.
Started on 1st pull right out of the box, and was really quiet. I placed my Honda right next to it and you could not hear 1 over the other. Tried running an A/C, battery charger, microwave and water heater. Each device were powered equally the same by both his Champion and my Honda. For less than 1/2 cost of the Honda, he is happy with his purchase. Long time run, repair and reliability to be determined. It sure surprised several of us that are Honda owners.
Old 25-05-2012, 12:55   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by US1Fountain View Post
I picked up a Champion 2000W gen this past week from SAMS for a friend wanting a gen, but not wanting to spend $1000. The specs are identical to the Honda 2000. Sams has a no hassle return policy, so figured a no risk purchase.
Started on 1st pull right out of the box, and was really quiet. I placed my Honda right next to it and you could not hear 1 over the other. Tried running an A/C, battery charger, microwave and water heater. Each device were powered equally the same by both his Champion and my Honda. For less than 1/2 cost of the Honda, he is happy with his purchase. Long time run, repair and reliability to be determined. It sure surprised several of us that are Honda owners.
The Honda has been around for awhile. It seems inevitable that some real competition would arise. I've noticed Honda shifted their price down a wee bit.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 13:54   #57
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"repair and reliability to be determined. "
And there's the rub. Honda set a known quality standard, and you'd have to question whether anything that's HALF the price was going to meet it. If you're twenty minutes away from a Sam's Club and they'll swap it anytime during the first 500 hours of operation, even if that takes two years...great.

But please do follow up in a year or two and let us kinow how it works out. Half price sure is tempting.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 20:40   #58

Boat: Seafarer 38
The cheaper ones are reviewed all over Amazon. For the most part, long term performance isn't up to the Hondas or Yamahas.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 21:47   #59

And... you can run the HELL out of a honda and resell it for nearly new price. If you consider resale I still think the Honda is WAY ahead of the rest.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 16:54   #60

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the Honda. I was just passing on our experience with a gen that has so far came the closest match, as far as performance, as the Honda. Have seen over the yrs others that advertise the same, but fail to come close.
I agree, time will tell. We are weekend boaters on an inland lake....a SAMS is always around the corner. Naturally I'm interested in it's long term performance out of curiosity.

IMO, buying a used Honda is not worth the hassle when just a little more $$$ thrown in can get you a brand new zero hr machine. Great to be a seller though.

Tags
generator