Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 16:23   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate BatteryMINDer

I've had a suggestion that this gizmo would be a good thing to have. My house bank is 4 6v 225ah batts. My bank also says its full with my 120v charger and my AirX 400 amp.

I have now read the 12v Bible twice, sadly my only biblical study of late, and I am still struggling to get the big picture on E=MC squared all the way down to why the light comes on when ya flick a switch. Actually I have that down but I don't know what I don't know.

As a sidenote, I tried to start the Yanmar with the house bank and got the ol' click click click. Switching to the start batt solved that problem, but I was taken somewhat aback as I think I've started it before with the house bank only. I believe the house bank is wired both parallel and in series depending on what I don't know.

[@ Stu, I have googled this but am looking for an explanation I can get my old grey matter around. Forgive me.]
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 16:46   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: BatteryMINDer

I don't detect a question in there, but if you are asking about the Battery Minder, I don't see why you would need it with an existing AC charger and a windgen.

The Battery Minder is an AC-powered trickle charge device that claims to also have a pulse desulfation mode. The pulse desulfators have no real controlled data supporting them. If you thought one was a good idea, you can buy one for the same price or cheaper than the Battery Minder.

So if you already have a good AC charger, the Battery Minder is not going to add any charging ability.

There are many reasons you may not be able to start your engine from your house bank - most of them connection related. Check those first. Also check any switch you are using to make sure the contacts are clean. If the house bank is a long distance away from the engine, you may have inadequate sized wiring.

I would expect even an old house bank to start an engine in a Cal 29.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 17:12   #3

pirate Re: BatteryMINDer

Thanks Mark. My unasked question was just should I get one, do you pros use them? The lit suggests battery life can be extended. Then, when the bank click, clicked, I wondered what now?

I've only had this rig a few weeks and am somewhat overwhelmed by all the new toys but obviously time to check water levels and so forth. Everything looks so good I'm loathe to mess things up.
Old 23-09-2013, 17:28   #4

Re: BatteryMINDer

BC, I agree with Mark's comments. The BM is a waste, voodoo stuff. I tried one of those desulfinators years ago, what a crock. You also have other issues to deal with first. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 17:33   #5

pirate Re: BatteryMINDer

Thank you Sir.

Tags
battery