Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2021, 11:05   #1

Battery terminal insulation

My boat's house battery bank includes 4 batteries. There are several large diameter wires attached to many of the battery terminals. Those little rubber boots that are often used on car batteries do not work for covering the terminals I have described. Can you suggest a good method for covering them?

FYI, it doesn't bother me that the terminals are exposed because the battery bank is located where no one can accidentally get shocked. Also no water can drip onto them. But my boat is getting surveyed (for a sale) and I'm sure that the surveyor will notice the lack of insulation.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 13:58   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Battery terminal insulation

Bus bars with protective covers rather than lots of wire on battery terminals would help but its a lot of work on a yacht for sale.

I would leave it for the next owner to decide what they want to do.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 19:28   #3

Is there no lid to a battery box or compartment?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2021, 20:09   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post
My boat's house battery bank includes 4 batteries. There are several large diameter wires attached to many of the battery terminals. Those little rubber boots that are often used on car batteries do not work for covering the terminals I have described. Can you suggest a good method for covering them?

FYI, it doesn't bother me that the terminals are exposed because the battery bank is located where no one can accidentally get shocked. Also no water can drip onto them. But my boat is getting surveyed (for a sale) and I'm sure that the surveyor will notice the lack of insulation.

Any ideas?
Only that in terms of a "deficiency" that would block a sale, it's gotta rate really low for reasons to reject buying an otherwise ok boat.... It is an ok boat, yes?

Don't accept a buyer's survey til there's a firm offer, and if that's the only sticking point from the survey, knock fifty or a hundred off the agreed price. You both feel better afterwards.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, insulation