Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 19:26   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Battery service near Ft Pierce FL

Hack-
Most modern chargers will not turn on if the battery voltage is below 10.5 volts. This is an intentional safety precaution, usually documented in the manual we all toss away, because trying to charge a truly dead battery has a larger chance of causing a battery explosion, and the charger makers get upset about that.
So, battery-to-battery will often do enough initial charging to get the "dead" battery up to 10.5 and the charger will then kick in.

Other than Lifeline, I don't know any AGMs that can be equalized. I'm sure there are a couple of other niche brands but in general, the makers expressly warn you that will only cause batteries to vent or explode. When in doubt, ask the maker. RTFM.

Downeast-
All lead batteries take permanent damage from sulphation if they are allowed to sit partially discharged. AGMs may go six months without taking any real loss simply because the matrix prevents the heavy precipitation from forming out, but they can and do take permanent damage if allowed to go flat and stay flat for long periods. If yours were sitting for a year or two without charging, and they went dead over a year ago? I'd go to a battery distributor, and when they tell you the batteries are worth nothing beyond a core fee, at least you'll have them at the place where you want to dump them, instead of having to drag them around.
It would be MOST unusual if they had any real percent of the rated capacity, no matter what shaman tried to bless them now. Not impossible--just most unusual.
Good luck.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2019, 15:21   #17

Re: Battery service near Ft Pierce FL

Thanks Hellosailor and all the others.
My Prosine does say it can re-charge from nearly flat (although I hear what you’re saying - they may be toast).
I don’t know how long ago the batteries went dead... could have happened just before I bought the boat or a couple of years.

I’m going to check to see if they held any of the charge I put in them last week and probably bring them to one of the recommended place to check them out.

Thanks all!
Down East is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, service