Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2020, 22:04   #1

Boat: BCC28 and a traditional Dutch sailing barge
Battery Placement - is under floorboards OK?

I've found a spot to place a house bank of batteries. First off, my boat doesn't have an electrical system, does have everything else, so I have to retrofit. She is a small traditional full keel gaff rigged cutter. I'd like some modern conveniences, electric lights, bilge pump, and a fan or two, that sort of thing. So I'd like a house bank of batteries. There is an area under the floorboards that would be good for weight distribution and out of the way. It would be perfect but I've heard somewhere that it isn't recommended to put batteries in the "bilge". Here is a picture of what I have in mind, floorboards are lifted. The gray fiberglass battery box is temporatily set in the general area.

This spot had a sole or shelf and was used for deep storage. Yes there will be some moisture but it is well ventilated. I also plan to keep the area in front of the battery box open to check for water in the bilge. The big hose is from the manual pump and I'm thinking ..... an electric bilge pump on a float switch too.

Water in the bilge would have to rise over a foot to touch the bottom of the battery box and then well over a foot more to reach the batteries. I plan to use AGM batteries. Batteries and boxes are going to be secured so the boat can take a full roll without them coming loose.

My question, will this work for a small ocean voyaging boat?

- Rich
Lemsteraak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, men