Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 19:31   #1

Battery negative location on shunt for LinkLITE meter

Notwithstanding the instructions for the Xantrex LinkLITE meter say to connect the wires exactly as shown, I was curious if it mattered to which side of the shunt the battery negative was connected?

That is, the wire originating from the second most right terminal on the meter "-", which is shown to be connected to the load side of the shunt.

Thanks,

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Noname_tn.jpg
Views:	646
Size:	306.4 KB
ID:	144293   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040_tn.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	268.7 KB
ID:	144294  

ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 22:45   #2

Re: Battery negative location on shunt for LinkLITE meter

are you asking if the shunt is directional? then no. it's not. it can be fliped either way. but all the wires will still be connected as shown. the placement of the wires is what sets the direction.

or based on that picture you are asking if if matters which side the shunt the battery monitor neg goes to? of course it matters. if it's on the battery side the power consumption of the meter itself is not being monitored or included. which isn't much draw but it's on 24/7 and will add up.

your question of "which side does battery neg go to" isn't a clear question.

I would get rid of all those silly screw connections and do it with proper crimped ring connectors and heat shrink.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2017, 06:08   #3

Re: Battery negative location on shunt for LinkLITE meter

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original question. I was wondering if the location of the wire circled in this version of the photo mattered.

However, I have answered my own question this morning. In its current (no pun intended) location, the power drawn by the meter itself will not be measured.

And yes, there are a number of other items in the wiring that should be addressed.

Thanks,

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0040_tn2.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	420.0 KB
ID:	144320  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery