Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27   #16

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: battery for bow thruster

A friend of mine, another installer who does quite a bit of bow thruster work, insists on placing an additional battery, in parallel, near the thruster and windlass. His belief is that the surface charge of the battery is more available for the short duration of need, and the recharging, with the 4/0 cable then is sufficient. I tend to keep all the batteries in a bank together, but on reflection, that may not be necessary. I'll leave it to the electrical engineers to argue the merits of that. The legs from positive and negative posts are unequal, but the juice is the same.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:54   #17

Thanks to all, I have a separate battery for the bow thruster and windlass located in the bow for short cable run. Am looking at various batteries now, Sears too.
Thanks again.
sailor 0516
sailor0516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 13:58   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm on my 3rd boat with a bowthruster and they all had Odyssey batteries installed, so that is what I would recommend (with as short a cable run as possible).
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16   #19

With the bow thurster batteries in the bow how are you hooking up the 4/0 existing wire for charging. Are you leaving it on the battery in the stern, or are you hooking it up to a battery charger?
tuberider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:33   #20

WE have 2x4D's providing 24V for our bow thruster motor. The batteries are within 6 ft of the thruster and fed by a double battery charger directly adjacent to the batteries. Given the very large power draw when using the thruster, you need to keep the battery cables as short as practical.
chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 00:44   #21

Boat: Island Packet 420
Re: Battery for Bow Thruster

I am in Europe, looking to install an AGM battery for my bow thruster that used to be fed off my house bank (which I have now switched to LFPs). A large dealer for my bow thruster in Europe recommends a Leoch xr115fr battery for the thruster. I have never heard of these batteries, but the stats show excellen CCA and a supply of 400 watts of power (it is a high performance battery and 130Ah), and it fits the space available. Does anyone have any experience with these batteries?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery