Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 07:11   #1

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM
Battery Charger

Hi All.
I have a small problem that I would like for the experience of this board to weigh in on. I purchased an Iota DLS30+the IQ4 module to replace my old Quest battery charger. The one thing I over looked was that it is only a single bank charger and I have two (one battery each, both the same). I have several options:
1. Return the Iota and get a dual bank charger.
2. Add a timer and a relay to the charger output and have the charger service both banks.
3. Combine the two batteries and use and charge as one bank.
Let me know what you think.
Thanks
Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:38   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Paul, Is this second battery also house or is it starter. If this is also the house bank and is left on you really need a independent charger. You could of course attach the charger to a battery combiner but with some of those the batteries will never get fully charged due to loss through the combiner. If you look at the cost of the multi-bank marine chargers you might consider buying a second Iota of the same size and connect it to the second battery and run them both simultaneously. This also gives you a back-up charger should one fail.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:53   #3

Boat: Pearson 303
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulM
Battery Charger

Thanks Chuck,
Both batteries are the same and I use them interchangable. Start with one and then use the other as the house. This way I always have a charged battery. I have a concern in using a combiner. Would the charger be able to sense the charge state battery(s) through the combiner?

Paul
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:56   #4

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Yes it will but the charge voltage will be lower. Another option is to wire the charger to your battery switch instead of the battery. Be sure to use appropriate size cable for the run. Then when you switch to which ever battery you are using the charger will charge that one. The down side is the other will not be getting a charge and will naturally loose some just sitting. Still recommend 2 Iota's. The other option if you use one primarily for starting is to put a Echo charger on the one used mainly for the house to charge the one used mainly for starting. This is the option most folks use for starting batteries. But not good if you are using it also for house loads.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery