Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2020, 03:00   #1

Battery Bungs - MV22MF - Numax Marine Battery

I've purchased two of these batteries and I'm concerned about the safety instructions attached. The instructions are to open immediately on delivery (and remove bungs etc).

They were delivered to my home address but left unopened as I intended to then transport them to the marina and open them/use them there. Have I damaged them? Is there a risk here? Do I need to open them now (and transport them?)
croc9968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:40   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Battery Bungs - MV22MF - Numax Marine Battery

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Croc.

I can't imagine any problem.
What bung? It appears to be a sealed maintenance-free battery.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:52   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Could it be a bung for the battery vent?
You could remove the bungs now, then replace them when transporting to your boat.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 03:59   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Could it be a bung for the battery vent?
You could remove the bungs now, then replace them when transporting to your boat.
Quite common, normally red bungs on the side of the battery which need removing before first use.

You might put a volt meter across the terminals to see if they are well charged or depleted having been sat on a shelf for a long time. Google the battery code if possible or if a Date of Manufacture is displayed is it reasonably recent?

Had to send a pair back last Spring which were 18 months old and hadn't been charged. The dust layer was a give away.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2020, 04:01   #5

Thank you both for the prompt reply.....It's still in its packaging but I suspect the bung will be for the vent, I am travelling over tomorrow and will fit them. I am led to believe the bungs are to avoid spillages during transportation. Charging the batteries with the bungs attached would have serious consequences (lack of venting) but they seem okay. I guess they must be stored in the factory this way before shipping to customers?
Old 13-02-2020, 04:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Quite common, normally red bungs on the side of the battery which need removing before first use.

You might put a volt meter across the terminals to see if they are well charged or depleted having been sat on a shelf for a long time. Google the battery code if possible or if a Date of Manufacture is displayed is it reasonably recent?

Had to send a pair back last Spring which were 18 months old and hadn't been charged. The dust layer was a give away.

Pete
Great idea, they're still boxed and packaged but will certainly look for these tell tale signs of age

Tags
battery, grass, marine