Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2016, 17:03   #1

Boat: Fast Passage 39
Batteries in Japan

I read a post on replacing 6 volt deep cycle batteries while in Japan but it was dated 2010 and I was wondering if anyone has new info. about the subject. My s/v Sidewinder ( Fast Passage 39 ) has always had Trojan T 105's ( 8 of the suckers ) and I was hoping to replace them after getting back to the Seattle area after 8 years in the South & Western Pacific. But they are dying and need replacement before the long crossing from Japan. I'm willing to use a different brand if they are anywhere as good but Manufactures info. and real life experience are two different things. Thus the call out to all of you for all the input I can gather. I'm not rich but I also know that you pay for what you get. Not looking for a great deal but something that's not a bank buster. Thanks for wading through all this - David
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 03:28   #2

Re: Batteries in Japan

I don't have specific xp on those batteries ... but it has been my experience that the bat mfg know pretty well how to make money and cover their asses.. so if they warranty the battery for 5 years.. it will prolly need replaced within a few months either side of that? I'm not sure what the reputable companies in Japan are.. but if u find one and they are warrantied for a decent stroke..at the rite price.. I would pull the trigger on it?

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 15:23   #3

Boat: Fast Passage 39
Re: Batteries in Japan

Trusty - Thanks for the reply. I have 8 Trojan -105's but two of them when dead and I took them off line. I think I caught them time so they didn't affect the other 6 ( keeping my fingers crossed ) and they seem to be holding their own now. I know I'm rolling the dice on this one as it's 6,000 miles +- to Seattle from Japan and that could be another 60 cycles for them but I do have 4 means of making power aboard so feel "OK" about it. I've had such good luck with the Trojans I didn't really want to take a chance on one's I know nothing about. Your feedback was right on but I can get Trojans in the States for about what they want for similar ones in Japan so thus my decision. Thanks again for getting back to me.

"If you think it's good enough, it probably isn't "
Sidewinder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Japan