Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2017, 06:59   #1

Boat: Pearson 28
Batteries

I'm probably looking at new batteries next season for my Pearson 28. Any suggestions on size and or type of battery to get?? Not much in electronics, Stereo, GPS and Depth sounder. Engine is a Yanmare 2GM20 Diesel.
windcree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 13:25   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Batteries

I think most folks these days will say two 6 volt golf cart batteries for your boat would be the way to go. True deep cycle and plenty of storage capacity for your (and my!) small boat demands. I have heard that sometimes you can find some from golf course where they are trading out batteries and the used ones may still have some good life left in them for not much $.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:07   #3

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by windcree View Post
I'm probably looking at new batteries next season for my Pearson 28. Any suggestions on size and or type of battery to get?? Not much in electronics, Stereo, GPS and Depth sounder. Engine is a Yanmare 2GM20 Diesel.
Determine your average daily load in Amp hours, then multiply times 4 to get the correct battery bank size in Amp hours. Then stick the the highest quality deep cycle battery you can find and afford.

Buy once, cry once.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 14:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Get a pair of gc2's from Sam's club and call it good for your boat under 200 for the pair out the door. 220ah unless you have a fridge then get 4 of them. Add a hundred watts of solar with a modest controller and a done deal for the next 5 or so years. Of weekend cruising. Living full time will require more solar.
Old 10-11-2017, 16:11   #5

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Get a pair of gc2's from Sam's club and call it good for your boat under 200 for the pair out the door. 220ah unless you have a fridge then get 4 of them. Add a hundred watts of solar with a modest controller and a done deal for the next 5 or so years. Of weekend cruising. Living full time will require more solar.
^^^ This
Old 10-11-2017, 16:12   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
+1

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 17:43   #7

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Yup! Keep the water level correct and don't discharge them under 12.3 volts and life will be good in the battery department .
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 23:27   #8

Boat: Catalina 385

Umm.....he has 2 - 12 volt batteries. I think.
Doug4bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 04:01   #9

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug4bass View Post
Umm.....he has 2 - 12 volt batteries. I think.
Yes, that is what he currently has. My opinion is that two true deep cycle 6 volt batteries in series (in my case golf cart batteries from Sam's club) will be a better solution for his use.

There are several threads on this you can read by using the search function. This article was written by a marine electrician who is member of this group. I and many others hold his opinion in very high regard. What Is A "Deep Cycle" Battery? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

And don't be concerned about "These are deep cycle instead of "starting" batteries." They will start a little diesel just fine.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 00:02   #10

Best price on batteries I have found is at Sams club and Costco the 6v batteries are $85ea and Costco told me they will accept an AA battery to remove the core charge per battery. Or Batteries Plus has Duracell 6v for $99 and you may get 10% off if you ask for it. Making the price $90ea or order online and pick up in store using the online coupon code. You can also ask around to find old batteries people have laying around you can turn in to remove the core charge. There are also 12v AGM 100ah batteries on Amazon shipped for $160. Standard lead acid batteries need a box and venting to exterior. AGM or Lithium don't need venting. Battle Born has the best price on 100ah Lithium drop in style 12v batteries. At around $800 ea, but check around for deals.
MrMotofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:11   #11

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
That's what I would do.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:53   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like he's not running much with his batteries so two 12 volt deep cycle batteries in parallel from just about any auto parts store will work

That's what I have and they are charged with a 100 watt solar panel to power all lights, ac inverters, autopilot, depth, GPS, VHF, phone, laptop, etc
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I'll add another vote for this option.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:16   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Two 6 volt batteries in series will work but if you lose one and everything is running on 12 volts, you will then have a problem.

I lost one of my 12 volt batteries last year and came in the last 20 miles or so on autopilot with the other single 12 volt battery........
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 08:35   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Two 6 volt batteries in series will work but if you lose one and everything is running on 12 volts, you will then have a problem.

I lost one of my 12 volt batteries last year and came in the last 20 miles or so on autopilot with the other single 12 volt battery........
that would be the starting battery in a multi gc2 setup. Btw 20 miles isn't to far to use the manual steering method. ( properly balanced sails will keep the vessel moving in the correct direction.)