I am connecting my Balmar
MC-614 to my alternator
in my 2008 Dodge Sprinter (I figured you guys would know more about this than Sprinter forums) to charge my LiFePO4
pack (acting as house and starter battery). Everything with the unit seems to be okay except for my field wire. Here is how everything is connected (minus field wire):
Black Ground Wire ----> Chassis ground (battery neg post is connected to vehicle chassis)
Red Power Wire ----> Positive of battery
Brown Ignition Wire ----> Sprinter auxiliary ignition terminal post under drivers seat
Alt Temp Sensor ----> Alternator
Temp Sensor ----> Negative post of battery
Positive Battery Sense Wire ----> Positive post of battery
At this point the unit turns on, the display is cycling through the settings, and I can program it.
Blue Field Wire
The alternator has internal regulator
which is connected to a 2 pin connector on the vehicle. I disconnected this connector, and was able to add terminals to the back of the 2 brushes
. The brush terminals are connected as follows
Brush terminal 1 ----> Chassis ground
Brush terminal 2 ----> Blue Field wire
So I close the vehicle ignition switch and turn on the unit. Now, the display is flashing "888" and after about 5-8 secs the 10A fuse connected to the regulator
12V power line blows...
I thought maybe something weird is going on and I didn't bypass the internal regulator properly. So I took the field wire and connected it directly to vehicle chassis ground (because that is what essentially what it should connected to right?) and same thing. 10A fuse blown.
PS. Have not cranked the engine