Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2023, 07:43   #1

Balmar 614 programming

My 614 is not fully charging house bank of lithium. It appears that it initially charges for the default bulk period then drops to float. The CAlculated voltage is set reading 14.3 but the sensed voltage is only about 13.6.

Anybody have experience with this. Running default lithium profile program.

Any thoughts appreciated

Jerry
JerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:34   #2

Boat: Morgan 382
Re: Balmar 614 programming

How are you determining the LFP is not fully charged? What is the voltage at the LFP, measured with a DMM, while the Balmar is in Bulk, before it drops to float?
Old 01-04-2023, 16:11   #3

Hey Warren. I have a smart shunt that I am reading voltage. I also have a Victron battery sense.
Old 01-04-2023, 18:35   #4

Boat: Allmand 31

>It appears that it initially charges for the default bulk period then drops to float.<
Increase your Bulk Time duration (b1c) in programing mode?

"(b1c) Bulk Time. Controls minimum time in Bulk Mode before entering Calculated Bulk.
Standard value set is .3 hours (18 minutes). Settings are from 6 minutes to 6 hours.
Adjustable in .1 hrs (6 minute) increments"
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 21:01   #5

The balmar should stay in bulk untill the battery hits 14.3v. By then it should be ~99% full. No other settings shoukd effect that. (Bulk or absorb timer does not change that)

If it’s telling you the calc voltage is 14.3 then it’s not in float.
The screen will tell you if it’s in bulk, absorb or float.

It will not hit 14.3 untill it’s full. It will slowly climb.

It’s possible it’s cutting back current from high alt temp, but still in bulk.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 04:08   #6

Thanks for the input. But I don’t think I want to change the time for bulk. The next phase of the Balmar charge cycle is calculated bulk. This is when I think voltage sensing determines the duration (or a least a factor) before the cycle goes to absorption then float. Changing the time setting of bulk may fix but it wouldn’t be optimal sense it would run full out until the bulk period ends or the max volt threshold is reached. I am not sure that is how the 614 was designed to run.

I continue to think it’s a voltage sensing problem. Everything use to work normal until I upped my game with solar. My sensing wire is connected to a positive lug that is shared by charge sources for solar and wind. In the past the charge from those was low and nominal. But now it’s much more significant. Is it possible this affects it.
Old 02-04-2023, 04:17   #7

SMAC

It’s not the alt temp sensor. I registers a temp well below the max and no alarms.

My thought is voltage sensing issue. When alternator not running the sensed voltage appears to be correct. But once running the sensed voltage jumps up near the calculated voltage. Thus it won’t proceed to calculated bulk but immediately drops to absorption.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:52   #8

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

It sounds like your 614 is sensing the voltage at a point close to the alternator, and when the alternator is producing charge current, the voltage drop between that point and the battery is enough to cause the 614 to think the battery is charged (and therefore shift to float). If you move the 614 voltage sense lead to the battery itself, this problem should clear.
You should also see if you can determine where the drop is occurring, as this point could cause a problem in the long run (corroded connection, etc.).

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 06:10   #9

I think the issue is it is a long run to the battery. The lug where I am sensing is close to alternator and other charge sources. I will test a sensing connection to the battery to see if it makes any difference.

Tags
balmar