Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 21:09   #1

Average solar panel output while cruising?

Just wondering how much power you all are getting from your solar systems on average while cruising?

In the US, on land, the average seems to be 4kwh per day per 1000 watts of panel. There seem to be a lot more variables while cruising.
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 21:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Average solar panel output while cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman View Post
Just wondering how much power you all are getting from your solar systems on average while cruising?

In the US, on land, the average seems to be 4kwh per day per 1000 watts of panel. There seem to be a lot more variables while cruising.

That's about right as a general planning figure.

Actually anywhere between 2 and 6 depending on a lots of factors (weather, latitude/time of year, how they're mounted)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 23:46   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

consider also that when on east or west passages the panels will be in shade from the sails in the morning or afternoon
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 00:07   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

300w of solar was generating 74w with heavy cloud yesterday lunchtime, dropping to 60w when it started to drizzle. So plan for poor weather too. It's 8.30am and just 8w

Today we have 30 knots of wind and horizontal rain so the solar won't be doing much good. Boat is bouncing around a bit in the harbour and the dog doesn't want to go out. Even the Brixham seagulls are grounded

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	seagulls.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	221943  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 09:46   #5

Boat: Robt Beebe Passagemaker 49-10 in steel

MOJO has 1,000 watts of solar panels controlled by an 80 a/h Flexmax Outback controller. The panels are mounted flat on the deckhouse roof. We typically get about 300 a/h per day in full sun at mid latitudes, more the farther south we travel.
mvmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 10:27   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Well cruising NOT = cruising.

When on passages, we make way less energy.

When anchored, we make way more energy.

If you have other sources, solar input can be marginal. If however solar is your main source - then you DO want to ramp up that solar area. (In our boat, additionally, the panels tilt and swivel).

You are always limited by space and my attitude is to place as many panels as one can.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 11:41   #7

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

In Grenada with mostly sunny weather we are seeing ~2.4kWh from 660 watts of rigid Panasonic panels.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 12:36   #8

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Are there panels that perform better in cloudy conditions or is it just about maximum outputs.
Old 25-08-2020, 12:41   #9

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:

The rule of thumb is to take the total wattage of the panels and divide by three to get daily amp hours. This will vary with the quality of the panels and any shading from the sails. Always best to wire each panel separately to avoid the shading hangover.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 12:55   #10

Suggested format.

Panel wattages:

Watt hours per day:

Location and average conditions:

Position on boat relative to obstructions:

How you have them wired could be useful info too.

Amp hours are useless without other data points. Watt hours is the real measure of energy acquired. Amps x volts.

I worked 4 years as a solar installer, so understand how different variables can affect production. Just looking for real world numbers.

Thanks all.
dustman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 12:59   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have three 220 watt SanyoHT panels in parallel above the center cockpit of our ketch. Part shading from the rigging at anchor. MPPT controller. 24 volts. Anchored in the Caribbean with typical east wind we get 95 to 140 amp hours/day. 120 AH is average.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 13:02   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

It is hard to say what they could put out, as all we know in the end was how much they did put out. Just is greatly affected by the battery state or charge and the power use during the day.You can either get a lot of AHs out of the solar, or get the batteries fully charged which cuts down total output that the panels could have done.

In the past along the East Coast and Bahamas with 290W on a good day with the wind pointing me in a good direction I could count on 100AH/day. Now with 640W I can count on 220AH/day. But I am sure get more if the batteries would have accept it.
Old 25-08-2020, 13:12   #13

Boat: 1980 Southern Cross 39

I think Barnikle is right. Most cruising boats need as much or in the case of mono hulls... more than you can easily fit aboard. Windage potential for heavy weather damage. Ai try to get as near to 1000 2atts as I can. Thats running the standard Cool Box and a 65 liter Fridge Freeze in the freeze mode with six Trojan T 105 Golf Cart Batteries. I think the biggest mistake and most common is not enough solar and not enough battery capacity. I would also have a Honda2.0 generator to back up way before a wind generator. Wind generators just don't make that much. I have a good one. Robust well designed Super Wind 350.
philiosophy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2020, 22:15   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

With two 130 watt panels on a TransPac the batteries were down to 12v after 10 days of heavy overcast. When the sun finally came out was sailing almost directly into it in the afternoon so panels shaded by mast and sails for half a day. Batteries still hadn't charged back up to full after another 5 days of full sunshine. I'm a low drain cruiser with sailing isntruments, AIS, 7" older Garmin Plotter, LED interior and running lights, HF single side band for weather GRIBS and net check in once a day.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, solar