Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2023, 19:49   #1

Boat: Tartan 4100
Anyone run a Growatt inverter?

Halfway planning a system install on a new purchase and I know I will probably end up going with Victron. BUT......

Has anyone run a Growatt off-grid inverter? I have one for my grid-tie and they are well built.

They have:
- 3kW of inverter out
- 2kW of MPPT solar input
- 1.4kW of shore charger (this seems a little on the light side)

Total shore + solar output of 140A/24vdc

Not bad to have all that for only $700.
keaton85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 06:10   #2
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Re: Anyway run a Growatt inverter?

Does it have an auto relay to bond N>G when inverting that breaks the bond when passing through/charging?
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 07:38   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Does it have an auto relay to bond N>G when inverting that breaks the bond when passing through/charging?
I'm looking into that, it does sound like the newer ones might, yet You can also make your own bonding relay pretty simply. When gen/shore is online, release the relay and when not it will bond for inverting.

Edit: Confirmed, newer models have internal bonding and older units require an external contactor. Pretty easy...
Old 26-04-2023, 08:14   #4

Boat: Tayana 37

The only concern for me would be having solar integrated. All in ones are nice until they fail and then they are none in one.

Then again at that price even ignoring the solar charger it is a solid deal.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2023, 08:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
The only concern for me would be having solar integrated. All in ones are nice until they fail and then they are none in one.

Then again at that price even ignoring the solar charger it is a solid deal.
True, but if that is the worry, it's easy enough to have a cheap MPPT charge controller on hand if doing far cruising. If then, its not hard to piece something together as losing an inverter is not an end all, you just have to run the main until it gets replaced. You would have to do that even if a stand-alone unit failed.

Less is more when building electrical systems in my opinion. I would love to just go with Victron to have power assist, but really not needed on a 41ft boat.

Even for the price and size, you could have a spare!
Old 01-05-2023, 19:45   #6

Boat: Hanse 348
Re: Anyone run a Growatt inverter?

Which model are you looking at. Very interesting to me as I have 3 solar panels I am putting on, not very much power, and don’t want to purchase 3 victron controllers and a victron inverter. This solution is about a third the price!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 19:53   #7

This is the unit I was asking about:
https://signaturesolar.com/growatt-2...grid-inverter/

You wouldn't need three separate Victron controllers, just a Victron MPPT 100/30 might just make it if the panel voltage is below about 30vdc open circuit (it could be close).

The one thing I like about the Victron is the monitoring ability for the novice, as well as the power assist if you get that model.

Edit: I see your other topic on this, your mixing and matching panels so your stuck with more than one controller. You don't need to have a Victron, as there are tons of cheap MPPT controllers for such a tiny amount of solar.
Old 02-05-2023, 06:28   #8

Boat: Hanse 348

I was going to go with a Victron inverter so I figured I might as well get Victron controllers. I have used these before on my previous boat and like them alot, I think Victron is a very good brand. Plus, I have not found 'cheaper' controllers to be much less, the Victron 75/15 is $88.

I was thinking of paralleling the 2 50's into a single controller, they are not that much power to begin with that a separate controller will make that much difference?!
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter