Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2017, 07:52   #1

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Any Next Gen 5.5 owners here?

I'am contemplating getting a new generator and the Next Gen 5.5 is appealing to me because of its small size and low weight. I would like to hear from any owners using one concerning the dependability, ease of performing services and maintenance and the noise with a 2800 rpm generator running with or without the sound enclosure. Thank you
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2017, 08:04   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Any Next Gen 5.5 owners here?

A few do have them, mine is a 3.5.
Sound with the enclosure is not bad at all, the 5.5 being a two cylinder should be smoother than my single. I would want the enclosure though, take it off and its amazing how well it works, and its very well designed, easily removable etc.
Of course they will not be as smooth and quiet as a low RPM unit like a Northern Lights etc, but they are smaller, lighter and cheaper.
I see no reason not to run one as much as you like, many voice an opinion that they can't be run over night etc., which I believe to be incorrect.
The 3.5 is a Kubota motor, a horizontal single cylinder with I believe a replacable liner. The crankshaft is ball bearing oddly enough and therefore ought to last nearly forever. It ought to be a very easy overhaul, and or cheap to just replace the motor. I got a quote for a new motor that was only about $1,000 or so
However I believe if all other things are equal that running the motor at a lower RPM will prolong its life.
They changed generator heads a couple of years ago, the older one had a "dirty" power output until it had a load on it, however I have had no problem with mine, I did raise it's voltage a little by going to a slightly different rated capacitor.

Maintenance amounts to fuel filter changes, and the water pump impeller of course. Oil changes are easy and its a 100 hour interval. I don't believe there is any maintenance on the generator, the drive belt ought to last for many years.
I removed my water pump, it had started leaking and spraying salt water all around the enclosure. I do not like that, I replaced it with an AC airconditioner water pump, if the generator is making power, the pump is running
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 18:57   #3

Boat: O'Day 34
Re: Any Next Gen 5.5 owners here?

(quote)I removed my water pump, it had started leaking and spraying salt water all around the enclosure. I do not like that, I replaced it with an AC air conditioner water pump, if the generator is making power, the pump is running(end quote)

The boat I just purchased had a non-operating Next Gen 3.5. The previous owner had somehow allowed salt water to get into the head and rust out the exhaust valve seat. But fortunately, due to the horizontal cylinder layout of the Kubota, water did not enter the cylinder and trash the engine.
With the advice of the very helpful and knowledgeable guys at Next Gen in Jacksonville I replaced the head and exhaust riser (new design) and it runs like a top.
But...
I can see a real problem with replacing the salt water pump. I have to virtually stand on my head in order to reach the pump. I replaced the impeller while repairing the engine in place.

Could you please reply with the make and model of the AC water pump that you used? I assume it was one of the long life magnetic drive ones. We just replaced the pump on our previous boat and it was over 25 years old. I can't remember the make and/or model of the pump.

Or maybe one of our other forum members can recommend a good pump for this purpose.

thanks.

I saw this quote and I like it but I changed it a little

"You're not too drunk if you can lay on the deck without holding on....."