Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 15:45   #1

another battery question

I have 2 lifeline 8ds wired in parallel serving as both starting and house. I have had no problem. I am at dock with a xanax truepower 40 smart charger I noticed while working in the bildge that one battery is room tempture and the other is slighty warm, not hot just maybe 10* above room tempeture. My question is this normal? I have disconnected the batterys and they both read 12.8 volts +or minus a few tenths What is up?
Thanks in advance
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 15:56   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Impossible to say with any certainty. Could be nothing, however, it could be a bad cell, corroded terminal, etc... Are the batteries disconnected from the boat or from each other or both (i.e., isolated)?
The resting voltage of two isolated batteries is meaningless. Check each cell with a hydrometer to ensure they are all good. You can find the proper range of readings anywhere on the internet. The specific gravity of a bad cell will be obvious.

The above is a lot easier than doing a load test which might be preferable except they are 8Ds...
The biggest problem you may have is moving this size battery if one is bad.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 16:04   #3

Sv illusion
The lifelines are sealed agm so specity gravity test is not possible No they are not disconnected from the boat and at dock they still run the 12v lights and all water pumps and head I will let them sit over night to see what voltage is in the morning. And you are right taking them out of the boat is a real pain in the back
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 17:11   #4

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Apparently they are still connected in parallel on the boat. In that case, whatever you observe is misleading as they will always be at the same level, regardless of whether one has a bad cell. The bad one will draw down the other.

To make any meaningful observation, they must be isolated and given they are not wet cells, a load test is your only practical means of testing them.

Even a battery with a bad cell can read fully charged while not under load.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery