Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2022, 08:15   #31
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Anode disappear after 1 year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldude View Post
Probably you are stuck with the original metals though.
In what situation on a production sailboat would this not be the case?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 08:45   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
In what situation on a production sailboat would this not be the case?
Any part for which one of alternate material is unavailable, or would be too costly. One would expect that original components would have been carefully chosen, but this may not be the case. Manufactures can do things wrong. Of course small generic items such as fasteners are easy candidates for replacement.
Dieseldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 08:49   #33
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Any part for which one of alternate material is unavailable, or would be too costly. One would expect that original components would have been carefully chosen, but this may not be the case. Manufactures can do things wrong. Of course small generic items such as fasteners are easy candidates for replacement.
Maybe you don't understand that the only underwater metals on this boat are the saildrive, the rudderstock and perhaps the thru-hulls. I'm interested in knowing which of these items you think might have been improperly manufactured and would have been a candidate for being replaced with an "alternate material."
Old 13-06-2022, 09:22   #34

Boat: Catalina 320

I'm surprised to learn a 2007 Bavaria 46 did NOT have a Galvanic Isolator as standard equipment.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:32   #35

Quote:
Maybe you don't understand that the only underwater metals on this boat are the saildrive, the rudderstock and perhaps the thru-hulls. I'm interested in knowing which of these items you think might have been improperly manufactured and would have been a candidate for being replaced with an "alternate material."
You seem to be awfully interested in specifics. I've not seen the boat. I'm not offering advice on a specific problem. A mention of the galvanic series is only a general observation that might be helpful to users who are not familiar. I do not plan to do a hull survey to identify metals. That is for owner to do. If you want specifics, you can make arrangements with the owner to go examine the boat yourself.
Old 13-06-2022, 09:36   #36
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You seem to be awfully interested in specifics.
No, what I'm interested in is how you believe the OP could (or would want to) replace his aluminum saildrive leg with one made of another material, considering that such a thing doesn't exist.
Old 13-06-2022, 09:42   #37
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post
Hi there.

I have a Bav46 2007 with an anode on the sail drive and an anode connected to the engine. Both were new in June 21. T

Before wintering the boat in Oct, both anodes were ok with some standard pitting (about 80% remaining). We left the marina today and when I checked under the boat, the hill/engine anode was all but gone. The sail drive anode is fine.

I take it this was caused potentially by stray electrical current in the marina. Is there anything that might be an issue on my boat that I can check? With the anode gone (I don’t know how long it has been gone), what would the implications be? This also seems very quick for an anode to go!

Thanks!
One year life for anodes is the norm.

As a backup I drop an anode over the side which is connected to a transmission bolt and tested for voltage (my own version of a Grouper).
Old 13-06-2022, 09:50   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Kaufman 47, Cutter

I don't know what the "normal" life expectancy is, but in the past twenty years, no matter where our sailboats were berthed, we have been lucky to get three months. I'm not complaining but just reporting our situation.
michaeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 09:56   #39
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeld View Post
I don't know what the "normal" life expectancy is, but in the past twenty years, no matter where our sailboats were berthed, we have been lucky to get three months. I'm not complaining but just reporting our situation.
That is not normal or typical anode depletion.
Old 13-06-2022, 10:22   #40

Quote:
No, what I'm interested in is how you believe the OP could (or would want to) replace his aluminum sail drive leg with one made of another material, considering that such a thing doesn't exist.
This is getting to be quite annoying. I never told anybody to replace a sail drive. I never told anybody to replace something with something else that does not exist. You seem to be more interested in criticism than in the original subject. My suggestion to consider the galvanic series and choice of metals is only a broad suggestion. But it applies to many corrosion situations. Who knows, maybe somebody stuck a brass through hull near a stainless item. We have no way of knowing. I never intended to do a part by part examination of hull fittings. That is a matter for the owner. Multiple posts of needless questions is not the purpose of the forum. You are certainly free to ignore thread postings if you do nit like what you read.
Old 13-06-2022, 10:26   #41
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is getting to be quite annoying. I never told anybody to replace a sail drive. I never told anybody to replace something with something else that does not exist. You seem to be more interested in criticism than in the original subject. My suggestion to consider the galvanic series and choice of metals is only a broad suggestion. But it applies to many corrosion situations. Who knows, maybe somebody stuck a brass through hull near a stainless item. We have no way of knowing. I never intended to do a part by part examination of hull fittings. That is a matter for the owner. Multiple posts of needless questions is not the purpose of the forum. You are certainly free to ignore thread postings if you do nit like what you read.
You suggested the OP look at his underwater metals, determine what they are and replace them with something else in the event that the boat manufacturer either cheaped-out on them or simply didn't know what they were doing.

But, OK. Whatever you say.
Old 13-06-2022, 10:33   #42

Quote:
You suggested the OP look at his underwater metals, determine what they are and replace them with something else in the event that the boat manufacturer either cheaped-out on them or simply didn't know what they were doing.

But, OK. Whatever you say.
You missed the part that said that you are probably stuck with the original stuff. But if you get your entertainment from critiquing forum postings, guess that's your hobby.
Old 13-06-2022, 10:41   #43
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You missed the part that said that you are probably stuck with the original stuff. But if you get your entertainment from critiquing forum postings, guess that's your hobby.
I guess you missed the part where I directly quoted you saying that.

This is the problem with the internet. People who don't know what they are talking about (like suggesting that replacing a sailboat's underwater metal parts- saildrive leg, rudderstock etc.- with something else) can shout their opinions as if they were gospel. Fortunately, others can also chime in and refute silly contentions.

Bottom line- Don't come in to a room of experts and pretend to be one if you are (in fact) not.
Old 13-06-2022, 11:36   #44

Quote:
I guess you missed the part where I directly quoted you saying that.

This is the problem with the internet. People who don't know what they are talking about (like suggesting that replacing a sailboat's underwater metal parts- saildrive leg, rudderstock etc.- with something else) can shout their opinions as if they were gospel. Fortunately, others can also chime in and refute silly contentions.

Bottom line- Don't come in to a room of experts and pretend to be one if you are (in fact) not.
Who made any claims of expert? Who shouted an opinion as if "gospel" Who suggested to replace sail drive or rudder stock? It is not me who has been making false claims. Can't imagine why, but it seems that your side of the discussion is about contention, not about the true subject. This is such an odd case. Never ran into anyone on here who was so determined to be so critical. Maybe spending too much time under water does that. I respect that diving an easy job.
Old 13-06-2022, 12:20   #45
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Who suggested to replace sail drive or rudder stock?
Look, you said what you said. I didn't make it up. You told the OP to inspect his underwater metals and replace them with alternatives if necessary. That you clearly didn't understand what his underwater metals consisted of is on you, not me.