Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 12:06   #1

Boat: Catalina 25
Anchor Windlass requires a running engine

Lagoon seems to have a requirement that at least 1 engine be running to work the windlass which might not be a terrible thing, but what if you need to deploy the anchor because the engine isn't working?

I recently had some corroded wires disable the windlass until I could repair them, and that made me think about this problem. Does anyone know how they manage this off the top of their head? Do they disable the controls, or actually cut the high amperage power to the windlass?

I've got 900AH of batteries and a 6KW inverter I can power off the genset, so having enough power for this is not really an issue for me, but I know I had to crank the port engine to test my repairs and that worries me a bit. If no one else knows, I'll figure it out, but if you do know how it is done, that could save me some time.
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:20   #2

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Re: Anchor Windlass requires a running engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
Lagoon seems to have a requirement that at least 1 engine be running to work the windlass which might not be a terrible thing, but what if you need to deploy the anchor because the engine isn't working?

I recently had some corroded wires disable the windlass until I could repair them, and that made me think about this problem. Does anyone know how they manage this off the top of their head? Do they disable the controls, or actually cut the high amperage power to the windlass?

I've got 900AH of batteries and a 6KW inverter I can power off the genset, so having enough power for this is not really an issue for me, but I know I had to crank the port engine to test my repairs and that worries me a bit. If no one else knows, I'll figure it out, but if you do know how it is done, that could save me some time.

===

It depends on the windlass. Many have a friction clutch which can be backed off to allow the chain to run out freely. That's the best way in a true emergency situation. I'd suggest practicing in a calm, safe anchorage just to see if there are any issues to be resolved in advance.

In lieu of a clutch mechanism, another possibility is to use a pair of chain hooks to gradually pay out chain after taking the chain out of the wildcat and pulling some slack up on deck. Snub off the hook lines on cleats to maintain control. Watch your fingers!
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:21   #3

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

I believe that the requirement is designed to minimize voltage drop which can cause other items to shut down . It would also help to keep the battery charged so that if you need to lift it for some reason you could It is generally possible to deploy the anchour manually by releasing the clutch . Check your manual
Old 17-08-2019, 12:45   #4

When you say Lagoon “requires “ that an engine be running, do you mean that the operating manual recommends this, or that the windlass is actually wired in such a manner that it won’t operate without an engine running? My windlass manual recommends engine be running, but windlass works regardless.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
===

It depends on the windlass. Many have a friction clutch which can be backed off to allow the chain to run out freely. That's the best way in a true emergency situation. I'd suggest practicing in a calm, safe anchorage just to see if there are any issues to be resolved in advance.
Yes, I have a Quik windlass which has this option, but there is less control than with the electrically powered mode of operation. I hotwired the windlass to bring the anchor up before, when the other wires were not working, but it still required the motor to be running.
Old 17-08-2019, 12:49   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
When you say Lagoon “requires “ that an engine be running, do you mean that the operating manual recommends this, or that the windlass is actually wired in such a manner that it won’t operate without an engine running? My windlass manual recommends engine be running, but windlass works regardless.
I mean it will not function until after the motor is running.
Old 17-08-2019, 12:51   #7
cruiser

It also helps to slightly revv the engine in neutral in order to engage the engine alternator while using the windlass.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:52   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

This is a problem that is worth fixing.

First find the main winch solenoids. They seem to be behind the seat cushion that is just behind the windlass in the smaller Lagoons. In the larger Lagoons they are outside in the box just in front of the mast.

You will find the + feed to the solenoid is only active when the port engine ignition is on, or on some models when the engine is started. It is just a matter of finding a wire that has + feed whenever the anchor winch breaker is on. The main large + feed as it enters the solenoid is ideal. Run a short jumper from this wire to replace the + wire from the ignition and the problem is solved.

A couple of caveats:

It has been a long time since I have done this and I am relying on memory.
Not all Lagoons will necessarily be wired the same.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 12:53   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It also helps to slightly revv the engine in neutral in order to engage the engine alternator while using the windlass.
I'm wanting to figure out how to run the windlass without the engine working. Deploying the anchor won't use nearly as much current as pulling it back up, and if an engine is down, it would be good for the operational parts of the system to keep operating....
Old 17-08-2019, 13:02   #10

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark0978 View Post
I'm wanting to figure out how to run the windlass without the engine working. Deploying the anchor won't use nearly as much current as pulling it back up, and if an engine is down, it would be good for the operational parts of the system to keep operating....
You need to fix it. what if the engine shuts down in a storm and you cant drop your anchor? Whoever thought it was a good idea seems to have no real life wisdom.

You can add a second circuit and switch independent of the original control, if you cant figure it out. Just like paralleling the original circuit. Its like having 2 switches in your house that turn on the same bulb, each could run separate wires to the same bulb.
Just dont push up and down at the same time.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 13:12   #11

I’ve seen other boats the same way. Some Beneteaus I think. Should not be too hard to find the relay and bypass it.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 13:26   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Wow that is a surprise to me , I would rewire to allow independent use of the windlass
Old 17-08-2019, 13:50   #13
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

I have come across this on Moorings cats as well
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 14:11   #14

I think smac 999 has it right....
Beneteau used to put a relay on the alternator which energized when the engine was running and allowed current to flow to the main windlass control switches. Without the alternator output the windlass switches weren't energized.

The idea was that the batteries might be depleted after an night on the hook and the engine would need to be running to assist with getting the anchor up.

DougR
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 02:42   #15

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Our FP Athena also requires the Port engine to be running or at least the ignition to be switched on to operate the windlass. I have considered an emergency feed to the control box but can probably survive listening to the engine alarm if I had to operate without the engine running.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, engine, wind, windlass