Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2019, 22:03   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47
Re: Anchor Windlass requires a running engine

the main problem: cable length!
I have 12m from the batteries to the windlass. With 12V and 95 mm² wiring I have to face a Voltage drop of 2,4V = 12,6 - 2,4 = 10,2V at the Windlass.

When I run the Engine and the Alternastor is OK it will give me 14,4V and 12V at the Windlass.

And this is the reason why one shall run the engine while operating the windlass or bowthruster.

Nevertheless the windlass will work with 10,2V but this will ruin the electric motors on the long term.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 00:41   #47

Boat: Dufour 455 GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
I have 12m from the batteries to the windlass. With 12V and 95 mm² wiring I have to face a Voltage drop of 2,4V = 12,6 - 2,4 = 10,2V at the Windlass.

When I run the Engine and the Alternastor is OK it will give me 14,4V and 12V at the Windlass.

And this is the reason why one shall run the engine while operating the windlass or bowthruster.

Nevertheless the windlass will work with 10,2V but this will ruin the electric motors on the long term.
I don't believe anyone is advocating purposefully working the windlass without a running engine(s). Clearly, for a variety of reasons, it is a good idea to make every effort to provide help from the alternator, especially when pulling up the anchor.

The point is that there may come a time when seconds count, and when the ability to run the windlass without first pausing to start the engine may make the difference between a close call and significant damage.

I can kinda understand why the interlock would make sense on a charter boat, if I squint, but never on a privately owned boat that is handled with care by the owner.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 08:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

As an senior executive of a motor and motor control design and manufacturing, eMobility firm, our company regularly deals with being challenged by having to deal with the legacy low voltage [e.g., 12V] systems for vehicular applications. And when one adds in the voltage drops across systems and of low charge or heavy amperage draws resulting yet further drops in voltage of the battery platform, one comes to sympathize with our engineers' keen frustrations that in this much more modern world of power conversion, power electronics and permanent magnet motors, that we are still operating at legacy 12V platforms.

12 meters is a pretty long run from a high amperage power source, which distance is doubled given the return run back to the negative side. Heck 12 meters is more like the length of the electric buses and trucks for which our firm's motors and motor controls are engineered for. Yet when one dives into the design of the massive lithium battery systems for heavy load capable vehicles, one comes to realize that the more distant series connections of cells are in fact situated quite far from each of the independent wheels's, drive motor / motor controls.

For comparatively isolated and higher powered applications such as the windlass mounted far forward on a boat from all other major power consuming devices, I have often thought a dedicated higher voltage battery platform, directly adjacent to the windlass would be very enabling to using a much higher voltage, high speed motor system along with multistage gearing to derive torque. The use of a bipolar lead acid battery system [BLAB] in place of the traditional lead acid battery architectures would avail a battery with much greater voltage and amperage capabilities and much less weight and volume than traditional lead battery design [e.g, 40% less lead as all the inactive DC Bus conduit lead is eliminated]. A single [BLAB] battery outputting say 48 to 60 volts would fit next to a windlass with ease and eliminate the voltage drop, expensive and heavy copper conduit. With BLAB construction architecture one eliminates all the series interconnects of terminals in legacy systems of base 6V or 12V battery architecture and eliminates the internal resistance inside the battery itself. No need for all those short jumper cablings between individual battery modules to derive higher voltage outputs of the battery. With BLAB, it is just like stacking cards into a deck, with each individual "card" being a 2.2V cell wherein the power flowing in series through the faces of the card, and not through to the thin edges of traditional lead acid battery construction architecture. Yet the lead acid battery industry hasn't taken up the BLAB conversion to any significant extent because the vehicle manufacturers remain in 12V horseless buggy era which does not take advantage of readily available higher voltage battery architectures and power storage densities and the higher power densities availed to the many motors on a vehicle. Distinctly Dumb and Dumber.

The relative delight in our motor and motor control engineers eyes when they are allowed to work on high voltage, modern electric vehicle platforms, [e.g., 450 to 700 volts DC] is refreshing to see as the many constraints of high amperage are mitigated considerably. The power density realized by modern high voltage systems has become very enabling. Once one gets to have access to high voltage power, it really becomes harsh to backtrack to legacy technology platforms. Yet, we still face having to deal with such fundamental issue for motor systems for powering the accessories systems on vehicles, such the HVAC blowers motors, radiator fans, actuators, which still need to continue to work at as low as a net of 9+ volts under worst case scenarios. The power conversion inefficiencies and unnecessary costs, oversizing, larger weight, bigger volume requirements, cooling schemes and materials, and reduction in expected life expectancy, makes one want to scream - "At a minimum, just quadruple the DC voltage!" But NO, the auto manufacturers remain operating as in the days of the "horseless carriages" along with their internal combustion powered vehicles. Everything changes when the base DC power source is in the hundreds of volts as is required for the electrification of transportation. Our engineers are now advocating towards making the transition from 750V rated power electronics to 1,200V design systems for next generation electrified vehicle developments. These being not Do It Yourself friendly systems but very robust systems. When you inadvertently touch a hot lead when working on a prototype in the development lab, you quickly realize it.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 15:54   #49

Boat: Catalina 25

My how far afield this topic has wandered. Look, a bunny!!!!
mark0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2019, 23:41   #50
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

There's no reason to run the engine before running the windlass, except for a near-flat battery, and there's no reason for that either.

Old thinking and old doing results in all sorts of rules of thumb so non-engineers don't kill themselves on substandard junk, and this is one of them.

Talk to an engineer and get it done properly, and by 'engineer' I mean someone with an electrical degree who operates on modern thinking and equipment and get a proper install done that is not a liability.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, engine, wind, windlass