Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2021, 13:22   #1

Boat: albin vega 27
Alternator to solar-only boat wiring?

Hi guys, I recently purchased a vega 27. It has an inboard motor that runs but doesn't go into gear so I've been thinking about rewiring the boat to run all the necessities from solar power (in case I can't fix the inboard properly).

my question is: Would it be difficult to rewire the existing setup to switch the charge going into the house batteries from the inboard alternator to a solar panel?

I know very little about wiring in general.. but I lived onboard a tanzer 26 for several months with mast lights, gps depth finder etc.. all rigged off a single solar panel and single battery so I at least know about conserving power!

Any opinions on the difficulty and time/cost? any advice is appreciated!
worstfirstmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 17:05   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Alternator to solar-only boat wiring?

As long as the solar panel is run through a controlar, batteries can care less where the charge comes from. Alternator output is fed to batteries in parallel with other sources like solar panels and wind generators.
I suggest you get some literature on learning about DC power in mobile (boat) applications. Your question reveals you need some studying to get up to speed.
I’d also fix the transmission so it goes into gear.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, boat, solar, wiring