Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2015, 23:21   #1

Boat: Lagoon 450
Alternator Specifications (Valeo)

Could someone direct me to a site or location where I can obtain technical specifications for marine alternators; particularly the Valeo 12V/80A models (2012 or later)?

Ive not been able to find details such as output voltage at various rpms, etc. And where I can adjust the output voltage, if possible, for charging into LiFEPO4 batteries.

Thanks
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 14:51   #2

Boat: St. Francis 44 mkII
Re: Alternator Specifications (Valeo)

I am unfamiliar with those alternators, but generally speaking, you either have a fixed regulator onboard the alternator (typically fixed at 13.5V), or it provides the ability to connect to an external regulator.

So, if your alternator can work with a three stage regulator such as those from balmar or xantrex then you can reprogram the bulk/absorb/float voltage levels to suit.
Mystic38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 08:11   #3

Mystic, exactly that. It's a internal regulator and Ive measured it and it fluctuates around 13.5V but unsure it if it offers three stage charging. Im hoping a specification or schematic will enlighten me.
Thanks
Old 10-09-2015, 13:45   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

I don't know about the Valeo 80A, but the 60A model is internally regulated at a single-stage 14V. There is no adjustment possible. You can open up the regulator, solder a wire to the brush supplying the field voltage, and bring that wire externally to an external regulator. Be aware that these are N-type alternators, and not P-type (I think).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:24   #5

Hi Mark.
This alternator is internally regulated and the measured output is 13.5V. Quite right, I can connect up a external regulator to get various charge rates.

However, this thread has now become redundant as Ive been persuaded to purchase a Mastervolt 100A charger which is more efficient at charging the new LiFEPO4 house bank (over the Cristec 60A). And the alternators, to be isolated from the house bank, will charge only the engine batteries. In event of a dead engine battery, there will be a cross over switch (existing) from the house batts with a relay'ed switch.

Im progressing forward with lithium!
Old 11-09-2015, 10:31   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Even though you have purchased another alt, be aware the measured output voltage will only be that voltage which your batteries are currently at in their charge cycle.

If they have not had enough time to reach the regulated voltage, the alternator output will not be at the regulated voltage.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24   #7

Mark. I havent purchased another alt. My post above is perhaps a bit confusing. Im now keeping the Valeo 80A but disconnecting it from charging the new LiFEPO5 batteries. The alts will remain only to charge the engine batteries.

Steve
L450
SV Emerald Sea

Tags
alternator