Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2009, 08:43   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 44 - Safari Tu
Alternator Set-up - Pulleys & Brackets

All,

My Balmar 91-150 is designed as a 2 belt alternator, unfortunately my pulley set-up only allows for one narrow width belt (see picture). We just upgraded our battery bank, and I'm convinced that this alternator and belt won't be able to handle the new higher loads.

Question: who provides a variety of aftermarket pulley setups to either get 2 belts onto my existing alternator and rearrange the waterpump and refridge belts? My local diesel shop is telling me they don't know how to go about helping me, and Balmar has been responsive but hasn't come up with a solution.

Would welcome hearing what you all have done, and how other Perkins 4.154M owners have their alternators set up...

Thx,
Safari Tu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	perkins pulleys.jpg
Views:	1108
Size:	325.3 KB
ID:	7859  
Safari Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:07   #2

A single 1/2'' belt will handle 100amps. Beyone that, probably need a machine shop involved unless someone makes a kit for dual belts. From the picture the problem seems as if you may not have enough room considering the belts for your compressor
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2009, 10:58   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Take your alt. to a shop that rebuilds alts and they can change it over to a 2 belt pully.

If you can buy the pulley yourself either at an auto parts or wrecking yard one can use a 1/2" air impac gun and spin off the nut and then back on with the new pulley.

I've done hundreds that way (use to rebuild auto electronics).
Old 21-04-2009, 13:33   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
If perkins doesn't make it then I'd remove the water pump pulley and the main pulley. Take them to a machine shop and have new ones cut from alum stock with the two pulley set up. Move the compressor forward to make up the difference. Probably a bit pricey but it can be done by a machinist with a lathe. Make sure he understands that the pulleys must all match so you don't eat belts.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 02:27   #5
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Your have a job here but it can be done- first your gonna need to fab a new bracket for the A/C comp and move it forward the thickness of the belt then a new doble pully on the crank then run one belt from the crank and the other as you have it- this is what i have done- one belt will be a little lose than the other but it will work- buy the green belts from NAPA
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 05:47   #6

Have you considered a high output, single pulley alternator?
That alternator you have is for 600-800 amp banks. You could sell it and get one with a slightly reduced output and a single belt. Simple, your done!

I have the S 125 and it's fine

http://www.great-water.com/pages/Amp..._sm_case.shtml
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
perkins 4.154, alternator, balmar