Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2015, 15:59   #1

Boat: Hanse 370e
Alternator replacement for Volvo 2003

I have a Volvo 2003 in my CS 36 Merlin and am looking to upgrade it.

Has anyone done this and what alternator did you use?

Point high & foot fast

Carl
Carlwasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 03:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Re: Alternator replacement for Volvo 2003

I just replaced mine, I live in Miami so was able to pick up direct. Just did two weeks in the Bahamas, no problem.
Good luck!
Marc

https://www.miamialternatorsandstart...ta-alternator/
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 05:11   #3

Hang on to your old pulley, I had a replacement Bosch alternator, didn't use the 9.5 mm pulley, really chewed up belts.
Eventually sourced a new original pulley, problem fixed now.
It was a direct fit on the Bosch, which surprised me.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 06:50   #4

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

DB Electrical in Tennessee (Starters, Alternators and more for Cars, Trucks, Tractors and ATVs) has a range of alternators that will fit a Volvo 2003 (actually any 2000 series Volvo's)

I bought a 105-amp model and had them install a dual groove pulley (which comes from their 140-amp unit) that a Volvo type belt will fit. I went with the dual groove as I was concerned that a single belt might slip if pulling the entire 105-amps.

I made a dual belt pulley for the crankshaft using 2 of the regular crankshaft pullies (lots of work). In the old days Volvo made a "stacking" pulley that would bolt right onto the crankshaft pulley, but they are no longer made and about impossible to find used.

My engine is raw water cooled, and the 105 case fits, but it's a pretty tight fit. There are 2 small diameter terminals on the back of the alternator that need to be cut down for clearance. DB said that this was no problem, and I have not had a problem in 3 years.

If you use this dual groove pulley set up, the belt you need is a 3L design and had to be 320mm long (3L320), which is originally made for lawn mowers. They are pretty inexpensive (less than $10 ea) and seem to last forever.

Originally I had the factory 55-amp alternator and it worked fine. I was going to buy a 75-amp alternator, but fell under the spell of "more amps!" Eventhough I have had no problems, if I had to do it over again I'd go with a 75-amp.

DB Electrical can do/make anything you want and they stand behind their work. Very friendly people and if you are a complete idiot about hooking up alternators (hand raised here) they will talk you thru it or e-mail you a sketch.

The basic alternators are made in China, but they add some US components and they are all fully tested before being sold. They meet all USCG regs.

My 105 with the "special" dual groove pulley was somewhere in the $175 range, which included shipping.

Very worth while checking out their website or sending them an e-mail.
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, men, volvo