Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 06:58   #1

Boat: KP44 #279
Alternator Regulators - Opinions ?

I've read the archives and the literature. I currently have a Balmar 120 amp alternator and MaxCharge 612 on my main engine. I've built a 12 V DC generator with a 150 Amp Zena welding generator and am looking for the best regulator to put on it. I have a 2 nd MaxCharge I could use, but I'm not entirerly happy with the performance of the one on my main engine. It seems to taper off charging early and the max amps I've seen out of it are around 75. ( I don't need an explanation of why this might be. Been though it all with Balmar).
If you have the best Reg., Please tell me why it's the best. I'd like something with programable bulk & Absorb. times & voltages, Batt temp compesation and hopefully Alt temp monitoring.
TIA
Dwain
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 07:46   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlentz View Post
I have a 2 nd MaxCharge I could use, but I'm not entirerly happy with the performance of the one on my main engine. It seems to taper off charging early and the max amps I've seen out of it are around 75.( I don't need an explanation of why this might be. Been though it all with Balmar).
Dwain
What did they tell you?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55   #3

They told me to move the voltage sense wire directly to the Bat, I did. They told me to reprogram the MC, I did. They told me my bat were full. They told me my 3 year old (never been cruised more than 2 weeks at a time) bat were shot.
Anyway, my question is/was not what should I do about that, but what would you use and why?
Dwain
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08   #4
Eternal Member

MC612. It's about the best one out there, IMHO. Got two myself. Installed a bunch of others.

If you're not seeing what you think you should, then:

- something's wrong with the regulator;
- something's wrong with the installation;
- something's wrong with your batteries (just, maybe, Balmar is right!); and/or
- something's wrong with your expectations.

By the way, your statement, "3 year old (never been cruised more than 2 weeks at a time) bat" has very little to do with the condition or real capacity of your batteries.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:25   #5

Please guys, I'm not trashing Balmar! I'm not saying they're wrong! I'm saying I'm happy with the point I'm at with that situation. I understand my batteries and the condition they may or maynot be in!
Mr Bill,
Thanks for your response. (Although it was unsolicited on that subject!) Now, WHY do you believe the MC612 is the best? Please could you compare it to the Ample Power unit since you've installed "many"?
Dwain
Old 12-11-2009, 08:49   #6
Eternal Member

Dwain,

The 612 has both battery and alternator temperature sensing, is well-built and well-tested in the field. They are pretty ubiquitous. The display tell's you what's going on, they're easy to program, etc., etc.

The Mastervolt and the two current Next Step regulators are fine, too. Neither has alternator temp sensing, though.

My suggestion is that you not overthink this.

Look at the various features each offers. Pick the one you like best. You're gonna do that anyway.

Bill
Old 12-11-2009, 09:26   #7

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
our experience from full-time cruising for 5 years...
Balmar is a great company. i love their alternators, but their regulators are not my favorite. we've had issues with "pulsation" and getting maximum output. our best experience has been with ample power. we're currently using a couple of SAR-v3, and love 'em. our last boat had the version they were making back in the late 90's... and it worked great as well.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:37   #8

Had a Hehr Aqualine of unknown vintage on our last boat. Bought it used on eBay and it worked like a champ. Probably about 8 years old. Had all the usual niceties, way easier to program than a Balmar (pots on the board), easily adjust the amps out and was extremely reliable.

I have a Xantrex XAR now on the current boat, which I believe is what a Balmar ARS-5 is, it is identical to the ARS-5 externally. Who actually makes these, Balmar or Xantrex? Wish I had my old Hehr back, was very happy with it, will see how things go with the new one next summer.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:00   #9

Thanks Bill,
I do like the features of the 612 (plus I already have one as a spare), but I was thinking (whoops), make that, concerned that thier charging profile was a bit conservative. I wish the AP SAR-v3 had alternator temp sensing, and wasn't $500 with sensors.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:17   #10
Eternal Member

Yep..can't get everything you want :-)

BTW, be sure to install the regulator OUTSIDE the engine compartment. They don't like a lot of heat. While there are some industrial-grade regulators which will take fairly high heat, the ones we're talking about do much better in lower ambient temp settings.

Bill
Old 12-11-2009, 20:10   #11
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Quote:
...make that, concerned that thier charging profile was a bit conservative.
I assume that you know that you can reprogram the MC612 to change the charging profile as you see fit.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 20:22   #12

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I installled a Hehr Powerline alternator on my Volvo MD40A with their Aqualine regulator. After about 3,000 hours of heavy use, the alternator needed to be rebuilt but the regulator continued to work fine.

I just installed an Aqua Marine Aqua Gen 12V generator (I could write a book about that installation) and I reinstalled my old Hehr Aqualine regulator on that. It still works great.

When I originally ordered the regulator, I also ordered the battery temperature sensor option. That was 13 years ago and I've yet to install it.

I looked closely at the Zena alternators. What do you think?

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 07:49   #13

Boat: M&M 52, Kiapa
dwain,
i believe the AP sar-V3 does have temp sensing... but why do you feel that is such an important feature? i've never used it, and have never had a problem with AP regulation.
kiapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 12:17   #14

Boat: Morgan 46
Re: Alternator Regulators - Opinions?

After reading everything above for my research, even though its old, I'll throw another one in the pond to stir up the water for those researching. I don't much about it yet, but it's not CCS (cheap china Stuff), it's made in England and has a temp monitor for both Alternator and Battery and is under $200 --- A Sterling PDAR ProReg-D.
Advanced Alternator Regulator

Happy charging
Sailmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 13:46   #15

Re: Alternator Regulators - Opinions?

I use generic automobile alternators. Have a potentiometer on the voltage sense lead. I adjust it as I like. I'm approximately one million times smarter than a smart charger. I even know the temperature. An alarm clock solved the short attention span problem on long motoring trips ... which are exceedingly rare.

One knob. One voltmeter. One ammeter. Trivial.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator