Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2019, 16:55   #46

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Alternator regulators Balmar or Mark Grasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
In theory this looks really good but Wakespeed Offshore doesn't have any contact information that I can find. No email, no phone. Might be great but how would one get any support?
I did find a phone number in the installation instructions but that number doesn't respond to messages.
Maybe these guys have given up on it and are just selling off what they have in stock on ebait.
You have it backwards - they are just getting started and are looking for distribution. I called the number in the footer of the data sheet (360-299-1231) and have talked to one of the owners (Rick). A friend here has just installed the WS-100 at my recommendation and it seems to be working well (too early with too little usage to make any claims). He bought one of the early eBay units and had problems; Rick helped on the phone with the auto electric shop that converted the alternator, and sent a new production model replacement that did the job on the test bench and then on the engine. It really was great support. I would recommend the WS-100 based on this experience.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2019, 10:08   #47

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I called the number in the footer of the data sheet (360-299-1231) and have talked to one of the owners (Rick).
That's the number I called and it was unanswered 3 times.

There is no email address on the site.

If they are serious about this business they need to be accessible every business day.

I think it may be a superior product but, based on my experience, I'm reluctant.
Old 18-04-2019, 07:34   #48

Boat: Monk/McQueen 45' - 1961 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
That's the number I called and it was unanswered 3 times.

There is no email address on the site.

If they are serious about this business they need to be accessible every business day.

I think it may be a superior product but, based on my experience, I'm reluctant.

Hello.

This thread showed up in my reader, and I wanted to reach out and say I am sorry you had issues contacting Wakespeed Offshore. Not wanting to cross the rules and make this an advertisement, but if you wish to PM me I will be happy to pass on Email addresses and cell numbers for Rick and myself.

And I did want to leave a quick note to address your concern about the startup of Wakespeed Offshore - rest assured, we are indeed alive and well. We are getting our supply chain sorted out, just this week the WS100's arrived and are looking very nice! We have several dealers now, including some offshore. A few of them have revised their websites to list the products - others are in process.

And I will be reviewing with Rick this morning the contact methods we publish - clearly there is room for improvement!

-al-
thomasow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 14:10   #49

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I’ve got a ample power sarV3 onboard now that has been working flawlessly for 10 years. Until the last week.

I had wired the current regulator to control the parallel solenoid, and it has. But now it’s leaving the parallel energized when the house voltage is low, and overnight with no charge sources. So it’s time to retire it before it fails completely.

Now for the real question. To replace it, I already know I’m going to add a blue seas ACR. But what regulator?

My two choices (I think) are the ubiquitous Balmar 614 or the Mark Grasser R210a.

Opinions are welcomed on either of these. Or other suggestions that may be “better”.

Our house bank is 440Ah of fla and the alternator is an 80 amp small frame Balmar.

Thanks

Matt.
So, what did you go with?
I'm thinking of switching to Firefly's and have a MG smart charge one.
Guess I will have to up alternator output & newer reg.
lateral is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 18:06   #50

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateral View Post
So, what did you go with?

I'm thinking of switching to Firefly's and have a MG smart charge one.

Guess I will have to up alternator output & newer reg.

We went with the Balmar. After waffling on this I decided to future proof with the fully programmable Balmar. So far it’s been great!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 19:42   #51

Boat: O'Day 40

Just to clarify the situation, I was contacted by Wakespeed, bought their regulator and am happy with it.
I'm getting 185 amps into my 4 Firefly batteries from a medium small frame, inexpensive, brush-less alternator.

Tags
alternator, balmar, regulator