Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2021, 18:54   #16

Boat: Hylas 54
Re: Alternator output wire size question

Both of my alternators' outputs go through fuses (breakers) on the way to the 1-2-both switch. Protects from alternator shorts and good if I need to remove an alternator.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:48   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster007 View Post

the house bank positive will be fused. i understand no need to fuse the starter battery per ABYC
Actually that is not correct.

ABYC does not require a dedicated start battery to be fused. By dedicated they mean a battery that can not be used for anything except engine starting. Battery to simple on/off switch and to starter.

With a 1/2/both/off switch either battery can be used for any load so both batteries do need fusing.

It is not hard to do. I fuse start circuits regularly, most often with a fuse of about 250 amps. Typically wired with 2/0.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 18:57   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I have never seen a fuse on an alternator. If a short developed "in" an alternator the diodes would blow. Yes, It's quite common to fuse at the common on the battery switch.
An alternator is a current limited device. As long as the wire is sized properly a fuse is not needed at the alternator.

The battery is the source that can cause the problem. That is why fusing should always be at the battery end of a cable, not at the load end.

smac999 is correct, only fuse if the wire is led from the alt to a battery directly.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2021, 20:21   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
An alternator is a current limited device. As long as the wire is sized properly a fuse is not needed at the alternator.

The battery is the source that can cause the problem. That is why fusing should always be at the battery end of a cable, not at the load end.

smac999 is correct, only fuse if the wire is led from the alt to a battery directly.

I think we were on the same page. I usually fuse the common on the 1/2/ALL/OFF selector switch and yes, in most cases 2/0 is most sufficient for a cable run (depending on distance run of course). Still, fusing the alternator is not a practice that I have seen. More importantly IMHO is proper routing and chafe protection of the large battery cables. Over time with a multitude of wire changes and add-ons, the cables can get covered by a birds nest of wire and if there is a chafe problem, hard to see before it is too late.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, size