Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 20:34   #1

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House
Alternator output integrated into a smart Shunt

Hello all,

So I want to see my alternator's contribution to my house battery bank. All the other sources are currently (see what I did there?) monitored by the Victron Smart Shunt.

Here are the basics...

I have a Balmar 614 controlling an externally regulated alternator that charges the house bank directly. That alternator is grounded to the primary DC bus bar along with every other load, source or chassis but I'm not getting the information I need as some of you may have already guessed because the case is also grounded to the mounts on the 4108 block.

A Victron DC to DC charger maintains the start battery which is connected to the 4108 ignition "ON" which powers up gauges, Start Button and the 614. The Ignition input is the only 12v source from outside the house bank that's connected to the 614.

614 is attached to the house bank using the Alt temp, Battery temp, Voltage Sense, Grounded and the ungrounded connection. The ungrounded connection is from the input (alternator) side of the service switch between the alternator output and the house bank.

614's Stator and Field are wired directly to the Alternator and the Tach Out is feeding my Tachometer at the helm.

Everything is fabulous BUT I would like my alternator to be monitored like the other charge sources Solar, Inverter/Charger.

Whats the solution?
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 23:44   #2

Re: Alternator output integrated into a smart Shunt

if the shunt is wired properly the victron will see everything into the bank. not sure what you did wrong. draw a diagram.

the alt being grounded to the engine is irelvent. the current still needs to go through the shunt to get to the bank.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 05:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
if the shunt is wired properly the victron will see everything into the bank. not sure what you did wrong. draw a diagram.

the alt being grounded to the engine is irelvent. the current still needs to go through the shunt to get to the bank.
I believe the problem is the grounded alternator wire is not isolated so the case of the alternator is seeing the block. The grounded wire is running directly to the system neutral buss bar. Shunt is in correctly and all other systems are being monitored correctly.

I rebuilt the entire DC power system so there are no mystery wires or improper color codes anywhere which makes it supper easy to troubleshoot.
Old 22-09-2020, 10:18   #4

We have the answer!

The house bank wasn't fully isolated to the battery side of the shunt. I was certain it was but I was wrong lol. All charging sources where polling correctly but they aren't mounted to the side of the 4108. The 4108 is now attached directly to the system grounding buss bar on the load side of the shunt only and not bypassing it.

Thanks for the replies!
Old 22-09-2020, 10:22   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Your comment made me revisit my drawings and I found the mistake so thanks! Kept me from going down the rabbit hole of isolated ground alternator options.
Old 22-09-2020, 10:34   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Chris from Balmar,

I am glad you found the issue. Don't feel bad about this - since we have introduced our SmartShunt, we have ALOT of the SG200 issues we have customers asking about are rooted in incorrect installation. Actually, that is not really an accurate statement. More accurately, they fail to make installation adjustments to ensure that the SmartShunt "Sees" all loads and sources connected to the battery. A related common issue is negative cables from other battery systems onboard connecting directly to the negative post of the main bank, and not on the "Cable" side of the SmartShunt.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 23:33   #7

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcon12000 View Post
Your comment made me revisit my drawings and I found the mistake so thanks! Kept me from going down the rabbit hole of isolated ground alternator options.
I too have a 4108 and a starter alternator I want to put on smartshunt.

Do you have a picture of how you wired your smartshunt? Even if its back of the envelope type pic?

Cheers

Al
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator