Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2018, 02:25   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Alternator not charging

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sailor View Post
I couldn't find any numbers from the alternator, the only thing I found was text Valeo and I know it should be 50 amp alternator. Attached is the picture of the wiring.

Unfortunately I'm flying home tomorrow so I don't have much time to do testing before departure :/

Best,
Sam
here is a link that might help with reference part numbers alternator is a Valeo Paris-Rhone ,common on volvo penta,more than likely the regulator needs changing
if no loose wiring causing the problem
https://www.dbelectrical.com/product...ta-marine.html
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2018, 13:01   #17

Thanks for test instructions Greg! Unfortunately I couldn't do the measurement since my boat was lifted out from the water and I had to fly back to home. I asked the marina's technical department to look at the alternator and I will report here what they will tell me.
Sam the Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 08:17   #18

I got email from the marina that their electrician removed and checked the alternator and the governor is not working. Then they quoted a new Volvo Penta alternator for 701 €. Unbeliavable price!

I asked them if they have any cheaper alternatives but I think next spring I will bring a new alternator from Finland and install it myself...
Sam the Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 15:45   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I assume that you mean regulator and you can buy them on eBay for less than $50 US.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 17:25   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam the Sailor View Post
I got email from the marina that their electrician removed and checked the alternator and the governor is not working. Then they quoted a new Volvo Penta alternator for 701 €. Unbeliavable price!

I asked them if they have any cheaper alternatives but I think next spring I will bring a new alternator from Finland and install it myself...
at that price they could throw in a couple of $200 hookers,an engineer and still make a profit
then at least you would not be the only one getting screwed...........
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2018, 19:18   #21

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Many years ago I had issues with the factory fitted alternator on my Volvo which was machine sensed. Still have it as a spare ... replaced it with a Bosch 80 amp unit... battery sensed .... and fitted a dedicated analog ammeter at the chart table so I can see exactly what it is going on ....
Old 02-12-2018, 10:17   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

I have a quick fyi. For those with the Valero alternators provided on Yamnars from about 2012 onwards. Balmar makes a kit that makes it super easy to convert from the internal value region to a smart ready regulator. The Kits take a few. Minutes on the bench to install. This allows you to run a Balmar external regulator. One of the big issues with those internal Valero regs is that they have a temp sensor, and it will pull back output earlier than needed.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 10:24   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
I have a quick fyi. For those with the Valero alternators provided on Yamnars from about 2012 onwards. Balmar makes a kit that makes it super easy to convert from the internal value region to a smart ready regulator. The Kits take a few. Minutes on the bench to install. This allows you to run a Balmar external regulator. One of the big issues with those internal Valero regs is that they have a temp sensor, and it will pull back output earlier than needed.

Chris
That was supposed to say "Internal Valeo regulator. Stupid auto correct.
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging