Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2020, 09:05   #76

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Alternator connected to starter WTH

No it does not involve adding a relay. You have a wire where it should not be.

I am worried for the safety of your boat. Wiring of the always on battery circuit is very dangerous because there are usually no fuses. If you wire it wrong a big fire can erupt.

Please don’t misunderstand. I am trying to get you to see that there is something you don’t understand if you don’t know why the oil pressure light is always on.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 11:00   #77

Boat: Sceptre 41

Trans I did not touch the ignition circuit wiring. When I read the wiring diagram I see that there is a fused positive wire that connects to the alternator. My theory is that this wire is back feeding the ignition circuit. I am going to test my theory by removing the fuse that is between the wire that I think is back feeding the ignition circuit and the ignition panel itself.

If the removal of the fuse stops the oil light/alarm then I am thinking of adding a NO relay that will only allow current through when the ignition is in the on position.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:21   #78

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Trans I did not touch the ignition circuit wiring. When I read the wiring diagram I see that there is a fused positive wire that connects to the alternator. My theory is that this wire is back feeding the ignition circuit. I am going to test my theory by removing the fuse that is between the wire that I think is back feeding the ignition circuit and the ignition panel itself.

If the removal of the fuse stops the oil light/alarm then I am thinking of adding a NO relay that will only allow current through when the ignition is in the on position.

Charlie,

This is my last post. If your oil pressure light is on with the key removed from the ignition something is wired wrong. The key switch turns this circuit on and off possibly via a pilot relay. It does not need another relay.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 12:21   #79

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

I find that having a copy of a wiring diagram that I can mark up is quite useful. A yellow highlighter marking the suspected route of the electricity from battery + to battery - backed up with a few voltmeter checks on the system along that route frequently unravels a problem.

Bill
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4JH4_HTE.book.pdf (128.5 KB, 18 views)
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 14:58   #80

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Charlie, you need to not just connect the wire "to the alternator." You need to connect it to the CORRECT lug on the alternator. This IS a safety issue. Please re-read and understand the wiring diagram. It took me a while to really understand what was going on when I first delved into this.

This thread caught my eye because I just burned up a couple of wires, and singed a few more, because my alternator was NOT connected as you describe in the OP. For some reason, the alternator output was sent up into the wiring harness on a 10 gauge wire, only to tap into another wire and return back to the starter "hot" lug where the heavy-gauge battery cable connects.

It now has a temporary direct-to-starter connection. I've got a professionally-made 6-gauge cable on order. Sure, my crimps are OK, but safety and reliability are so critical here that I'm willing to pay extra for the peace of mind.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2020, 15:08   #81

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
I find that having a copy of a wiring diagram that I can mark up is quite useful. A yellow highlighter marking the suspected route of the electricity from battery + to battery - backed up with a few voltmeter checks on the system along that route frequently unravels a problem.

Bill
Thanks Bill:

That was very helpful. I took colored pencils and traced the wiring diagram (I learned that in high school shop but forgot about it). I have attached it her. I am going to see if there is continuity between points A & B. If there is continuity that would confirm my theory that the alarm panel is being back fed from the always hot cable.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4JH4E Wiring Diagram colored.pdf (908.5 KB, 31 views)

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator