Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2020, 08:49   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Alternator connected to starter WTH

That makes more sense.

You still have 2 switches one of which is not necessary. All it does is add connections with voltage drop and possible failure points.

The 60 amp alt should go to the start battery positive and the larger alt should go to the charge bus with the solar output.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:13   #32

Boat: Sceptre 41

I bought some time with Maine Sail. Worth every penny I spent. After speaking with him I came up with a less expensive cleaner and more robust rewire.

Remove the two 1-2-Both switches. Replace with On/Off switches

Add a third on/off switch to be used as an emergency switch to use the house bank to start the engine.

Run all charging systems to the house bank on the battery side of any switches (protects the alternator)

Install a VSR to charge the reserve bank.

Simplicity. You want to turn the engine on? Turn on the engine switch.

You want to turn on the house bank turn on the house bank switch.

Emergency switch allows for combining both banks to start the engine or to use either bank individually.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rewire with VSR version 2R.dia.pdf (19.1 KB, 62 views)

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 19:26   #33
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:20   #34

Boat: Sceptre 41

Step one was easy. I was able to change my batteries from two banks of series/parallel to one bank. Just had to move a couple of jumper wires around. Next is to get the alternator wire in place so that it goes directly to the batteries without a switch to interrupt it.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 21:40   #35

Glad to hear you're making progress, i.e., understanding "How It Works."
While you now know that MS has his own website with great info, here's another resource:

Electrical Systems 101 http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5977.0.html
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 19:30   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Step one was easy. I was able to change my batteries from two banks of series/parallel to one bank. Just had to move a couple of jumper wires around. Next is to get the alternator wire in place so that it goes directly to the batteries without a switch to interrupt it.
Be careful about running a heavy wire directly from the alternator to the battery. The positive post on the alternator is an insulated post that is electrically connected to the stator ring. It is a relatively fragile connection and will not survive the constant vibration it will be subjected to if you connect it to a large inflexible cable that is affixed to the boat in such a manner that the cable cannot move freely as the engine and alternator vibrate (especially on starting) and thus puts a physical load on the positive terminal (Don't ask me how I know this) The technician at the marine electric shop I took my broken alternator to had a couple of suggestions as to how to avoid a repeat performance: 1) Affix the cable to the engine or alternator bracket with cable clamps or similar so there are at least a couple of inches of cable between the electrical connection to the alternator and the cables physical connection to the engine. This will ensure there is no physical load or vibration on the electrical fragile electrical connection. 2) Dead end the heavy wire on a terminal block or similar close to the engine and then use a much lighter and flexible wire for the last 12 inches or so to the alternator. Gauge depends on your alternator size and length of the final connection. 3) If you can't manage either of the above, then at least make sure the heavy cable is run in such a way that it is free to move with the engine vibrations and cannot put any physical load on the alternator positive terminal.
Good luck with your installation.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:17   #37

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Great info. I am going to check mine. Been ok so far, but...
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 06:18   #38

Quote:
I bought some time with Maine Sail. Worth every penny I spent. After speaking with him I came up with a less expensive cleaner and more robust rewire.

Add a third on/off switch to be used as an emergency switch to use the house bank to start the engine.

Run all charging systems to the house bank on the battery side of any switches (protects the alternator)

Emergency switch allows for combining both banks to start the engine or to use either bank individually.
Thanks for the schematic, what is the size of the fuse(e) on the house bank?
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:51   #39

Boat: Dickerson 37AC

Quote:

Awesome. I never spoke with Rod but I used enough of his articles that I made a donation to his site through PayPal as thanks for the work he put in.

It sounds like you are going closer to his schematic. I only made 1 change in that I didn't really have space for the 3 switches, although I will agree it does give more absolute flexibility to truly isolate the banks. In my case I used the Blue Seas parallel switch which does almost the same thing. The only thing it does not do it take the start bank completely out of the loop in a paralled bank situation. If I ever face the scenario of a dead start bank I can always manually disconnect the cable at the fuse to take it offline during a emergency start.

100% agree with all your charging going to house bank and then ACR to start. Since I've made these changes, my start bank is always 100% no matter how much I abuse my house bank. There's an ignition interrupt circuit on the ACR I suggest you wire that will prevent the banks from being paralleled during a start if either bank has a charge voltage on it like a solar panel. In my case, even voltage from my small solar panel is enough to keep banks paralleled so I'm glad I wired this. It's all covered in his ACR article.
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:54   #40

I had a boat with the alternator output connected at the starter + also. It seems to be a thing. Saves cable sometimes I guess.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:19   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner

Worked out at 3 feet, and 55 amps for your alternator, the #8 wire is fine btw.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:42   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I had a boat with the alternator output connected at the starter + also. It seems to be a thing. Saves cable sometimes I guess.
Typically how engines are delivered.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:48   #43

Boat: Valiant 42

It also saves alternators. If the factory did not connect alternator to starter then alternator might not get connected to battery. Alternators can be destroyed if run disconnected from the battery. So this wire saves the factory some nuisance warranty claims for blown up alternators. It’s hard to run the starter without first connecting battery.

The post on rewiring per Compass Marine has the best alternative method of wiring alternator to battery.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 18:51   #44

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

Save yourself some grief,Download ABYC wiring specs ,gauge and color .And no the charging system should not be wired direct to the starter !
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 18:57   #45

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn ken View Post
...And no the charging system should not be wired direct to the starter !
Suggest you contact all the marine engine manufacturers with this information...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator