Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypop View Post
I really wonder how to isolate case ground parts(alternator/starter..) in marine engine
I need to get information or sites substancially.
would you give me tips?
You don't convert case gnd appliances to isolated gnd. You replace case gnd with new isolated gnd devices.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:52   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Alan-I know you were tired when you wrote:
Quote:
but the Neutral is tied to Earth(green/green-yellow)back at the switchboard.
In fact, neutral (white/blue) and safety ground (green/green w/yellow) are only tied together at sources; generators, inverters, and shore power at the mains transformer. NEVER at the switchboard.

Gord-
Quote:
The new ABYC standards require a “Status Monitor” feature, requiring additional circuitry.
There is another option, not requiring a status monitor, that was developed in ABYC A-28 a few years ago.

A bit of history. While GIs, when made of quality components, did their job well, there was a concern within the ABYC that placing a semi-conductor based device in the critical safety ground wire could lead to loss of the safety ground path if the semi-conductors failed open, their normal mode of failure. Thus the well intentioned requirement for a monitoring system was developed.

Several manufactures (Professional Mariner, among others) brought some sophisticated monitoring systems to market. These monitoring systems checked the ground path at least once every 24 hours and alarmed for a couple of faults, the most critical being for loss of continuity in the safety ground path. If an alarm condition occurred, the alarm sounded and could not be silenced for more than five minute. Unfortunately, these monitoring systems did a fine job of verifying the condition of the shore side portion of the safety ground system...and found that this side of the system was in bad shape!

So, the law of unintended consequences had reared its head.

Enter the fail safe GI. These have been around in the dairy and pipeline protection industry for years. They are constructed of extremely robust components and, unlike their less robust nephews, will fail closed if subjected to an otherwise incapacitating surge so there is no need for the monitoring system. The extremly rigorous testing requirements for candidate fail safe GIs was developed (A-28) and each candidate must be certified by an independent laboratory (UL, AMMANA, etc.)

The fail safe units have been on the marine market for some time and are the only ones that I will install.

Hope this helps,
Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 11:39   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneypop View Post
I really wonder how to isolate case ground parts(alternator/starter..) in marine engine
I need to get information or sites substancially.
would you give me tips?
It is usually achieved in practice by using:

1) An isolated ground alternator, many marine engines have this as standard anyway.
2) Changing the senders (water temp oil pressure and alarms) to isolated (2 wire units)
3) Leaving the starter motor as is grounded. To start the engine the block must be grounded which is done with a large relay. Once started the relay is released and the engine is ungrounded. The few seconds of grounding, during starting, have little impact on corrosion and this is more reliable and easier than trying to get an isolated starter motor.

Hope that helps
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:05   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

1) An isolated ground alternator, many marine engines have this as standard anyway.
2) Changing the senders (water temp oil pressure and alarms) to isolated (2 wire units)
3) Leaving the starter motor as is grounded. To start the engine the block must be grounded which is done with a large relay. Once started the relay is released and the engine is ungrounded. The few seconds of grounding, during starting, have little impact on corrosion and this is more reliable and easier than trying to get an isolated starter motor.

Hope that helps
Indeed; concise, yet complete & accurate!

Old 16-01-2012, 17:15   #20

Re: Alternator and Starter Isolation

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Hope that helps
Nolex (and/or Gord) could the ground relay be another starter solenoid? Then I would have a spare if the primary start solenoid failed.
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 17:19   #21

I still haven't seen any recommendation of a US supplier of high current (~200 Amps) isolated ground alternators. Where can I get one?
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 02:39   #22
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tashtego
I still haven't seen any recommendation of a US supplier of high current (~200 Amps) isolated ground alternators. Where can I get one?
http://www.amplepower.com/products/a...ors/index.html

Their large case alternators all come isolated as standard. They are the best in the biz, and their external smart regulators are the gold standard. See models 4060 4300 on above page. I can't drive an alternator this size but I have purchase on of their isolated small case 100amp models.

Thanks for the solenoid tip!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 12:31   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

I have a steel boat with a Perkin 4236M which is isolated ground

In Guatemala City I recently bought a new AC Delco starter motor for US$90 that the dealer converted to Isolated ground for me at a cost of about $15 US, it involved a new plate for the brushes and a negative feed wire to the solenoid

I also purchased a new isolated ground 70 amp alternator in the US for US$250 so the bits are out there

Note

if you go the isolated ground route, you should fit some kind of simple test circuit as I have found a number of electric/Electronic Items try and ground out ruining your isolation

e.g.
Wirie Mk 1 & 2 Wifi extenders
Evermore GPS puck
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 17:19   #24

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Just a word of warning, if you are going to go with an isolated ground system on a metal boat, you MUST current protect both the positive AND negative leg of every component. The reason being if you should get a short to hull from an 8 gauge positive lead somewhere and at the same time somewhere else a 16 gauge ground wire should short to hull, you can imagine the nice heating element the 16 gauge wire would make. You should also include ground fault lights, which consists of two 12 volt pilot lamps wired in series from the positive bus to the negative bus. The tie point between the two lamps then goes to hull through a normally closed push button. The push button lets you test the lamps if one should go out. These systems where required by the USCG, group NY for final inspection of a vessel after rewiring it for 12 volts DC instead of a split 12 / 32 volt system.
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:17   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NNBill.

Old 03-11-2019, 04:38   #26

Boat: Chris Craft Dory 22'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NNBill.
Thanks Gord, nice to be here.

Bill.
NNBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator