Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2010, 11:00   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
a friend of mine had an air-x with warantee--it started to be very noisy while still under warantee-within 3 months of purchase . he sent it back and they sent him brand newly rebuilt with new bearings for no charge--the thing was sooo quiet after that-was wonderful!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 11:20   #32

Boat: Leopard 43
I took one apart to replace the bearings and could not get it back together. I sent it back to southwest and they fixed it right up and sent it back to me no charge. Really good people at that company.

Cheers,

CJ
s/v Holiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 14:24   #33

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Paget Lady

Quote:
Any way the slip rings are a terrible mess the Positive one in the middle has a deep grove in it the Neutral is less groved but the whole unit is full of carbon dust.
What do the carbon bushes look like ? 3 of them /on for each slip ring (the lower one is a pencil type). This might be the real problem.
Did you cut the wires to remove the sliprings completely ? ( Just wondering)
New slip rings ? The difficult part would be pressing the electrical wires into the new slip rings. You could probably buy thses made up from Southwest Power.

Good luck
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 00:32   #34

Paget Lady

The earth brush and slip ring look fine but the other two are a mess, no I have not cut any wires yet I was hoping not to have to. I removed the bolt through the slip rings and drew the wires out throw the Yaw
Mike
Paget lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 02:47   #35

Boat: Farrier Command 10 Tri
Yeh, I only asked about cutting the wires because on mine they were pressed onto a plug at the other end which I didn't want to cut. So I couldn't remove the sliprings without punching the whole bearing out.

If you have that much damage to the sliprings then something has worn/or misaligned badly to cause the grooves. Brushholders ? Bearings ?

Replacing the sliprings might fix the symptom and not the cause.
jpemb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:28   #36

Air x

Hi I eventually sent my Air X back to the agents in Germany, fortunatly it was just in warranty so they have rebuilt it and it has been returned to the marina in Jersey UK but I will not be back there until next saturday so am looking forward to installing it again and see if it really works again. I have managed to get some round rubber mounts with 6mm femail threads in each end they are Ideal for my mounting base so hope this will reduce some noise, I have also rerad that it helps to put wires in a conduit in the pole and fill it with builders foam so I shall be trying that too.
Regards Mike
Paget lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2013, 10:41   #37

Re: Air X Wind Generator - Yaw Bearing

Hope you got it out.
For what its worth I ran a machine shop for 30 years and I just cut an old bearing out if I can not drive or press it out.
I am in the process of changing my bearing. I think it got clogged up with salt water. I am thinking about popping the lower seal out so I can clean it with fresh water. That's what I do with my roller furl. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Clayton
millsc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:46   #38

Boat: Sunbeam 44 cc

My air x 4000 wind generator bottoms out at around 15 knots of wind. It hits a nice velocity and then stalls as if it's grinding to a halt. Feels that the bearings may be shot. Any troubleshooting advice? Diy and parts advice?
Also we are looking for a good solar and wind management and. Monitoring system.
Quirocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:49   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Clayton.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator