Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2008, 20:19   #16

Boat: 1995 CATALINA 320 formerly Catamaran owner
Send a message via Skype™ to SurfNRG
Refit Kit for the Air-x to Air Breeze

Spoke with a vendor at the boat show">Miami Boat Show in Feb who was carrying the new Air Breeze. He informed me of a refit kit where you can change the innards of the Air-X for the insides of the Air Breeze for around $349 U.S.. He actually called it a downgrade. Like several have stated, the newer Air Breeze produces current at lower wind speeds but only goes up to what I thought he 250 Watts compared to the 400W of the Air-X. Didn't say anything about lower noise.

I just replaced the blades to my Air X. While I had it down I sanded the aluminum housing, applied a zinc chromate primer (3 coats) then 3 layers of hard enamel. Looks almost new. Was sure to sand the edges of the blades to help quiet her down. So far, so good. The wife always complained about leaving the wind generator on at night (during sleep). I'll find out soon if she notices any difference.

On another note, once knew a guy who accidentally stuck his head into his Air-X. Took a good chunk of hair out the side of his head and nice size cut in the scalp. He did it again the very next day. A monkey learns after the first time.., Definitely not something you should try for fun..,
SurfNRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:46   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hope Light, that site has no specs. on noise. Only a statement (gee, a dealer's statement) that it is quieter. Still no measurements.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 21:03   #18

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I'm still wondering why a person would want a 250watt unit over a 400watt unit. Maybe I will find out after i mount it next month...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 06:15   #19

Boat: Cabot 36
You are right that the site doesnt give noise stats. I was just referring to the low end output stats which it did give. My thoughts are that maybe a 200 watt unit that gives higher output at lower wind speeds could be more useful overall than a unit that needs 28 knts of wind to get to 400 watts and generally high wind speeds to get much useful output at all. But I really don't still have a decent comparison of the two outputs. All these graphs take interpretation to go from m/s and yearly outputs, which is irrelevant for boaters in my opinion. And lots gets lost during the interpretation of these hard to see graphs obviously put out by marketers. Ill have to phone South West to see what I can find out.
Hope Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 06:57   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
Reasons

More power generated in lower winds will result in more amps in the battery at anchor for many sailors.

Quieter is alsow nice.

Chris

OH, and the Breeze is not replacing the Air-x, they are, for at least the time being, both current models.
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I'm still wondering why a person would want a 250watt unit over a 400watt unit. Maybe I will find out after i mount it next month...
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 08:10   #21

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Just a side note: Here is a direct replacement rotor for these wind generators that is said to be much quieter and turn better at a lower wind speed:
TLG Windpower Tri-Nado MM aluminum wind generator blade rotor 3 blades replacement for the AIR403 air-403.

Just for info.

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2008, 09:35   #22

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
NEW AirX is much quieter than older models.....

I have a new(last fall) AirX Marine and the noise is not much worse than the sound of the wind in my rigging. It is mounted with the available kit(pricey) which is rubber bushed to quiet vibration noise which is a large part of what you will hear INSIDE the boat. If it gets much more than a wooshing(hissing?) sound(outside) you may have a problem with the blades. A mate of mine used to have a generator that sounded like a small aircraft taking off when in a good breeze, horrible. I have had no complaints from my neighbours but then I don't leave it running all the time either. I find between the 80watt solar panel and the AirX my batteries(2 160ah AGM) stay topped up nicely. In fact on sunny days the AirX free wheels a lot of the time because the solar is keeping the batteries topped off. I like the idea of being able to produce more juice than I'm likely to consume on my little boat with an Engel fridge and the stereo as the biggest consumers. I can't give definative decibel levels either but mine is pretty quiet. I have no financial interest in AirX just a happy customer.............martin
Old 16-04-2008, 22:21   #23

Boat: Hartly Tahitian46ketch ALCHEMIST
I just installed an Air Breeze marine to replace an Air303.Purchased INTERNET from sun dance solar $699 us (marine) cost me $1160 NZ pesos landed tax paid !very happy with the unit. less peak power but so much quieter. There are differences in the seals and bearings on the 303/404 not sure on later models
Alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23   #24

Boat: 38 foot Block Island double ender under construction
Greetings....am reading with interest....my Air X Marine is currently hanging in a Pitch Pine tree at 50 feet above the ground...and dreaming of 50 feet above the water with a free wind stream!!after launcing day!soon come mon'.....
Have recently realized and been informed here of the Air X reputation in the anchorages....my back yard is no problem with the noise ...distances etc....but I wish to be "socially acceptable@@"...anybody have experience with the AirX to Air Breeze upgrade????Does that make sense???? .. thanks.....chSunspirit
chSunspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:33   #25

GREETINGS ....ONCE MORE....sorry...just new to this forum.....did not read the earlier post from SurfNRG..about the up/downgrade kit...then again....why would I DO this....except for a quieter ride....am planning to put it way up on my Main as I have a great deal of boom overhang....etc etc....the mounts are in place on both sticks....but We'll sleep under the Foremast!!!....chSunspirit

has anyone done a systems check of their Air Marine after a # of "years in the saddle"...and what are your experiences with the "stop switches"....new or older....I've never installed mine or had much success getting the connections....RIGHT....I sound pretty inept....but I'm getting there with my electrics.....and most of my problems may evaporate when I get out of the windshadow of those BIG pine trees to my SouthWest!!!!...light!y....chSunspirit
Old 05-05-2009, 10:34   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
[QUOTE have experience with the AirX to Air Breeze upgrade????Does that make sense???? .. thanks.....chSunspirit[/QUOTE]

Do they offer an upgrade kit?

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:37   #27

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
David, I often hear this figure of "half the noise" ...Have you or anyone else here seen any actual sound measurements?
While I didn't measure decibels, I was anchored just upwind of two boats with Air-X's, one several years old and the other a brand-spanking new Air-Breeze. Unfortunately both were still quite audible and I didn't notice a difference in sound between the two. Then again, the decibel scale is base-10 logarithmic, so 60 decibels would be ten times as loud as 50.
Zanshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:07   #28

Zan...no...10 decibles is perceived as TWICE as loud. 10 decibels takes 10 times the POWER from an amplifier to achieve that doubling in perceived loudness.

Perceptions of Increases in Decibel Level
Imperceptible Change 1dB
Barely Perceptible Change 3dB
Clearly Noticeable Change 5dB
About Twice as Loud 10dB
About Four Times as Loud 20dB
http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 17:03   #29

Boat: Formosa 51 Aft Cockpit Ketch - "Beausoleil"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
While I didn't measure decibels, I was anchored just upwind of two boats with Air-X's, one several years old and the other a brand-spanking new Air-Breeze. Unfortunately both were still quite audible and I didn't notice a difference in sound between the two. Then again, the decibel scale is base-10 logarithmic, so 60 decibels would be ten times as loud as 50.
Again, as an owner of an Air Breeze, I can emphatically state that it is much quieter than the older Air-X. I see many Air-X's around, and they're all louder (I haven't seen one yet with the Brazilian blade upgrade).

Now, power output - that's one thing I'm a bit disappointed in...
Beausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:44   #30

Air Marine upgrade/downgrade

chSunspirit, here...I actually started with the SouthWest Windpower two bladed WindSeeker...at least it was a product absorbed by Southwest..I built new wooden blades for it at one point a sweet project that seemed quite effective....then acquired the AirMarine when the diode harness of the Windseeker exploded in a Cape Cod April Icestorm....now THAT was a noisy machine as it had to tilt upward during the gusts.above 30mph..whewie@!!!...the Air Marine is loud at 20knots and above...again.. I experience more "juddering" because of my Pine tree wind interference....

I haven't yet had the chance to dismount the turbine and check amperage/rpm output...presumably possible with a variable speed torque applied to the hub ...I seem to be getting amps when there is clear wind from the east'ard... the suggestion of an aftermarket blade replacement at around $100 is sounding better and better....and may not result in a downgrade of Peak amps....I have seen several offers of AirX to Air Breeze "up/down" grade kits at around $329...and as suggested here...they include much of the innards to effect a NEW LIfe as an Air Breeze....hmmmm.maybe more of a downgrade(200w??!) than I want....I'm still figuring, I guess..

I am still "fishing for" any of the "out-there"experience with retro-fitted blades that FIT the Air Marine..THAT would be greatly appreciated as well as experience with the STOP switch that is offered by SW....and offered NOW as a "better STOP switch" would be great info....thanks to all...light!ly ch Sunspirit.

Tags
generator, wind generator