Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2016, 06:44   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Air Conditioning run off Solar, batteries and Inverter

Even a small LFP bank can run an AC the question is for how long. That couple also waited for an optimal day, had optimally angled panels, a top quality controller, an efficient inverter plus 1000W of solar and it still left a -30A deficit.

With a typical flat mounted & often shaded 1000W array on a boat, and 1000W is a huge boat array, you simply won't yield the performance they saw. Sure, if you want to eat dinner with peace & quiet and have an LFP bank, or even a very large lead bank, this can be done. Getting to the point of sustainable 24/7 climate control via solar, AC and LFP is still a pipe dream for a roving RVer or cruiser unless you choose to tow a solar farm behind you.....

You still have to put all that energy back into the batts and the optimal time for this, with solar, is obviously during sun-up hours. The optimal time for AC also coincides with sun-up hours.. You are still going to need an ICE to replenish the bank unless you choose to sweat it out during the day and run AC at night...

I am amazed they even questioned the ability of the LFP to drive that load because the question is not can it but how long can it..
Old 26-02-2016, 06:57   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There is still a possible use for running an AC unit off of your bank, if I close off the fwd stateroom where my little 5K is, I could run it on a stuffy, windless, possibly buggy night and keep that room cool and in the day run the generator to re-charge the bank, all I'm doing of course is shifting the generator run time.
But if it's a crowded anchorage, and quiet as in no wind, maybe that would be the neighborly thing to do.
I wouldn't want to make a habit out of it with my lead acid bank, but once in a blue moon? why not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 07:30   #18

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

I would like to offer a solution with the same effective cooling using about 2% of the energy.

Install a drip-irrigation system on the deck which drips sea water continuously ensuring the deck is always wet everywhere.

The evaporation of this water will cause a cooling effect like sweat. If possible pump the water from as deep as possible, and from under a rock or somewhere shaded.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2016, 08:15   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I would like to offer a solution with the same effective cooling using about 2% of the energy.

Install a drip-irrigation system on the deck which drips sea water continuously ensuring the deck is always wet everywhere.

The evaporation of this water will cause a cooling effect like sweat. If possible pump the water from as deep as possible, and from under a rock or somewhere shaded.
2% of the energy and 1% of the cooling ability. Even worse, it stays humid in the cabin, so even at the same temperature, it's less comfortable.

Evaporative cooling works well in the desert. Most cruising happens in more humid environments. We've played with spraying down the deck and it just doesn't do much.

Also, what is the cost of corroding everything at an accelerated rate by keeping it constantly sprayed with salt water.

As others have said, no problem running air/con off a battery/solar system...it's running it long enough to do anything that's the problem.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, inverter, solar