Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-10-2021, 23:33   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: AGM Battery - normal discharge rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I had a conversation with a neighbor this morning, he's ex-navy, getting a boat ready to cruise, he seems pretty smart. But, the subject came up of power usage and charging, and he stated that his new AGM batteries could be routinely discharged down to 20% charge (80% discharge) without harm. I told him I didn't think that was right, and maybe they could do that once or twice without affecting longevity, but if you do that regularly while cruising you will kill your batteries pretty quickly (2-3 years I would guess).

And I see a lot of battery sales-seak online claiming the DoD is 80%, I read at least one "article" claiming that you can go down 80% because you end up with fewer charging cycles - I don't buy that. My understanding was that the strength of AGM batteries is faster acceptance rate when charging, and higher max discharge amps (ability to draw more power faster) - but any LA battery will suffer if discharged to 80% routinely, right? Or not?
everything depend how battery cell plate made. if a battery plate made high pressure hadi casting like Exide C10 Torr Tubular made in India this your friend scenario is possible.

?-how to know is battery plate made high-pressure hadi casting.
A- Easy, 5-7 year warranty on battery.

Warranty tell everything how is a lead battery made 1-2 year warranty gravity casting
2-4 y low pressure casting
5-10 y hadi high pressure (except India made with Exide battery and some other India battery) usually military battery.

Hadi is German manufacture company who made high pressure casting machine and process
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 05:10   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Re: AGM Battery - normal discharge rate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I had a conversation with a neighbor this morning, he's ex-navy, getting a boat ready to cruise, he seems pretty smart. But, the subject came up of power usage and charging, and he stated that his new AGM batteries could be routinely discharged down to 20% charge (80% discharge) without harm. I told him I didn't think that was right, and maybe they could do that once or twice without affecting longevity, but if you do that regularly while cruising you will kill your batteries pretty quickly (2-3 years I would guess).

And I see a lot of battery sales-seak online claiming the DoD is 80%, I read at least one "article" claiming that you can go down 80% because you end up with fewer charging cycles - I don't buy that. My understanding was that the strength of AGM batteries is faster acceptance rate when charging, and higher max discharge amps (ability to draw more power faster) - but any LA battery will suffer if discharged to 80% routinely, right? Or not?
Yes, you are right!
Lusea1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery