Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2019, 12:58   #1

Adjusting absorbtion / float voltage Victron Multiplus

We're about to update our charging system and I'm looking at getting the Multiplus 3000, there are some features I like about it, but I can't find any information about how to change the absorbtion and float voltage settings. This info is easily available for Outback and Magnum chargers, but can't seem to find anything on Victron's. Is it possible?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 13:04   #2

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: Adjusting absorbtion / float voltage Victron Multiplus

Are you planning other victron units? The easiest way to change everything is via the colour control gx unit, which gives you control over every device. Or you can do it through the Bluetooth interface of a BMV712 if you have one of those instead. Or through a ve.direct to USB interface to your computer, or a VE smart dongle you can hang off the back.

If you’re not using any of the victron control devices on your system you can set parameters with dip switches inside the multiplus.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2019, 13:19   #3

I found in the user manual where you can set the charge profile via the DIP switches, but there is nothing that matches the charging requirements of Firefly batteries, 14.4 absorb / 13.4 float. The only float profile via DIP switches is 14.4/13.8 float. I also looked through the VictronConnect documentation and couldn't find anything in there about changing the voltage.

Currently we just have a "dumb" victron centaur 60 amp charger, what's nice about it is that it is 120/240 volt compatible, but i'm looking to consolidate and move into the 21st century as it were by getting an inverter charger. presently i don't have any plans to add any more accessories, but something like the bmv-712 might be nice to have in the future.

i'm a little disappointed that it can't handle 240 volt, but i get it being a combined inverter charger they probably can just pick one. i wonder how do you deal with charging batteries if you visit a 240 volt country?
Old 26-07-2019, 13:23   #4

Well I just found a video on youtube about how do to this, disregard this thread!
Old 27-07-2019, 08:27   #5

Boat: Great Harbour, TT35, 43'

I have the same Victron inverter/charger with Firefly batteries. I believe I have it configured properly, but I sure would appreciate it if you would post a link to that video. I'd like to double-check my settings!
Dtrombley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2019, 08:33   #6

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Please share your video link!
Old 27-07-2019, 12:59   #7

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
We're about to update our charging system and I'm looking at getting the Multiplus 3000, there are some features I like about it, but I can't find any information about how to change the absorbtion and float voltage settings. This info is easily available for Outback and Magnum chargers, but can't seem to find anything on Victron's. Is it possible?
We have a Multiplus 3000 and a Firefly house bank. To configure it properly, you'll need a Victron MK3-USB interface adapter, and the VE Configure program running on a Windows PC. Or at least that's how I did it. There was a recent announcement about a Victron app for Android that you may also be able to use to configure the unit.

I'd keep the Centaur "universal voltage" charger in case you visit 230/240v locations, and also to back up and/or supplement the Mutliplus.

Another option is to install an isolation transformer that can step down from 240v to 120v when you're plugged into 240v shore power. Has other benefits as well.
Jetx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 20:59   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
We have a Multiplus 3000 and a Firefly house bank. To configure it properly, you'll need a Victron MK3-USB interface adapter, and the VE Configure program running on a Windows PC. Or at least that's how I did it. There was a recent announcement about a Victron app for Android that you may also be able to use to configure the unit.

I'd keep the Centaur "universal voltage" charger in case you visit 230/240v locations, and also to back up and/or supplement the Mutliplus.

Another option is to install an isolation transformer that can step down from 240v to 120v when you're plugged into 240v shore power. Has other benefits as well.
Yep we were planning to keep one of the centuar chargers, but I am tempted by the idea of just getting an isolation transformer though. Seems simpler.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:59   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2...e-configure-3/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 04:39   #10

Boat: Great Harbour, TT35, 43'

Thanks for that link, rgleason!
Dtrombley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags