Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2021, 08:59   #1

Adding wireless LED ballast/strip, electrical advice

Hi,

I'm adding a Dreden Elektronik ballast and LED strip to my salon. It's a Zigbee wireless controller running off 12v power. After I get one working I will probably add three more (galley, and 2 cabins). Should I wire them into an existing wall switch for each respective cabin lights, or wire them directly to the terminal block where it powers all DC lights? Or, should I go ahead and add a new circuit to the switch panel for all future wireless lighting?

I have an existing wall switch that controls the fluorescent overheads. My led strips will be in the same cabin around the perimeter where there is a lip from the ceiling which will make nice indirect lighting. Should I just tap into that wall switch to power the ballast?

Could I just tap into the terminal block for all the DC lights and not use a wall switch at all? (since I will be using a smart hub to control them). The Dresden controller has a memory state that stores last on/off state in case of power failures.

Or should I do the extra work to create a new panel switch for all my wireless lighting future needs?

thank you for any advice you have.
incabrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, cal, electric, electrical