Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 08:05   #1
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 425
Adding agm

I want to replace my three house bank batteries with AGM and leave the starting and windlass batteries as they are. The batteries are charged through a sterling power Prosplit D from alternator and solar.

Can i just add a new AGM-appropriate charger after the Prosplit D.

What is needed.

Thomashay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26   #2

Re: Adding agm

Likly nothing needs to be done. The voltages of agm and flooded batteries overlap. Check the settings of your existing charger and the requirements of the old and new batteries. Only then will you know.

smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:06   #3
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

More specifically, check the actual Absorb voltage at your current House bank, and compare to the profile specs of the AGMs you are considering.

Odyssey, Lifeline and Northstar being top choices in the NA market for deep cycling.

Do not just order online, nor buy what a convenient automotive, big box or marine retail outlet offers, call the above makers and ask for a list of their dealers nearby.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:28   #4

If you don't plug in every night or have a LOT of solar, AGM's are a bad choice for a house bank. My last set of Lifeline AGM's lasted less than 3 years despite careful use (never discharge below 50%, fully recharge overnight at dock whenever possible, occasional 8 hour "conditioning charge")

Regular AGM's are great for start batteries or anything else that will only be slightly discharged and then fully recharged.

While expensive, if you use size 31 batteries the Firefly Batteries are a superior AGM option for most cruisers. They can use the same charger settings as your current batteries

https://oceanplanetenergy.com/advanc...asis-group-31/

Another long life option are gel batteries - but those do require adjusting the charge voltage.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 13:13   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I agree, skip AGM for house use.
Old 03-10-2019, 13:42   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
If you don't plug in every night or have a LOT of solar, AGM's are a bad choice for a house bank. My last set of Lifeline AGM's lasted less than 3 years despite careful use (never discharge below 50%, fully recharge overnight at dock whenever possible, occasional 8 hour "conditioning charge")

Regular AGM's are great for start batteries or anything else that will only be slightly discharged and then fully recharged.
I agree on most of the points, with one exception. I got over 10 years out of my Lifeline AGM batteries. Technically those batteries are still going to my knowledge, however I sold the boat.

I will look this weekend, however, I believe I'm on 5 years on my current Lifeline AGM batteries.

I find (YMMV) that not dipping down too deep and fully recharging are the key. I typically drop no lower than 12.7/12.8. The key to this is a combination of frugal usage with an oversized bank. I charge them every 12 hours and strive to completely charge if possible.

Disclosure: I only use the boat Th/Fri - Sun 5-6 months of the year, with a stretch of 2-3 weeks during that 5-6 month period. Otherwise the boat is plugged into a dock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 19:39   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Yes even calling 75% SoH as EoL, properly cared for quality AGM should go well over five years, maybe 8-10.

But many setups just "can't" get to 100% Full, or at least buying a new bank more frequently is more cost-effective than putting in the infrastructure required to maximise lifespan.

john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm