Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2018, 09:21   #1

Boat: Beneteau 473
AC Panel confusion

I have an AC panel with two pairs of main breakers, one for shoreline and one for onboard gernerator. Obviously protected so only one set is on at a time. Below the mains, I have four individual breakers. 1. Charger/Inverter 2. Water Heater 3. Spare (recently wired to provide charge to bow thruster battery bank) 4. Outlets. I have only owned the boat since August 2017, and I'm learning new things about it ever since.

The Charger/inverter is a Heart Interface Freedom 20. I have never used it as and inverter, not sure I know how. The previous owner mentioned while on the hook they might use the inverter instead of starting the generator just to use the microwave to heat a meal (in outlet circuit).

Here is the issue, when I switch off no. 1 circuit breaker the outlets go dead, naturally when I switch off no. 4 they also go dead. I have not followed through to determine if circuits 2 and 3 also go dead when circuit 1 is switched off.

As you all know, everything on a boat is zip-tied so in order to follow what red wire and yellow wire and black wire etc etc .. goes, it could be a challenging endeavor. Cutting the ties, follow the lines, marking them so I never have to do that again, and the zipping up again.

Now the question is there a reason the charger/inverter switch needs to be on for the other circuits to work? After all, that is what the main of shore or ship is about.

Or is it some crazy way of having the capability of the inverter to supply power to the outlets?

Or finally, when the bow thruster was installed, did the tech screw up my panel.

Should I change it, or just griin and bear it. I really am a analyst that needs to know why.

Thanks in advance
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 09:38   #2

Re: AC Panel confusion

Not a crazy way. The normal way.

Your outlets go through the inverter. So they can be inverted. Cut power to charger / inverter. Everything that can be inverter will go off.

Breaker 1 should never turn off. Ideally it would have a protected cover. Turn the charger on and off using its remote control panel if needed. Should be somewhere

Make sure the bow charger and hwt stay on when number 1 is off. You don't want those on the inverter.

You will have a control panel to turn the inverter on. Disconnect from shore. Hit inverter button. The outlets will come on. If you leave the inverter button on It will be automatic. When you plug in / unplug from shore. Not recommended to leave on when away from boat. Incase shore power is lost. Anything plugged in will kill batteries.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 09:42   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
Re: AC Panel confusion

Great, thanks for the info. I will double check that Bow thruster and HW are not on the inverter circuit.
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote